1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Cleavage

Discussion in 'Personal' started by egyptgirl, Sep 30, 2010.

1. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

What is acceptable and what is not? (in school)
    I ask because I was showing (gasp) just a little bit of it at school yesterday. I was running late because I'd overslept (having been on a school trip the day before - we left at 7am and got back at 1am!) and was pulling on clothes in any order they would fit and didn't really notice until a colleague pointed it out and then reported it to my Line Manager and the SMT.
    I should mention that hers clothes are always more revealing than not and very often her cleavage is much more than mine was yesterday.
    I am a well-endowed woman but even so, you really couldn't see much, even if I'd bent down. I feel that it was a little bit insensitive as I had breast cancer last year even though I am in remission now.
    My Line Manager and members of the SMT told me not to worry as they didn't think it was unacceptable but it's got me thinking. What's acceptable and what's not?

2. I don't like a display of cleavage at work, but I wish you all the best . Fingers (and legs) crossed for you, my dear

3. u7f21

u7f21 New commenter

That's nice of your colleague, I'm sure they're helping to embody the school ethos of bitching and back-stabbing! At least SMT saw sense!
    I've never really been shocked by the cleavage displayed by female members of staff at my school, however I do think there is a gulf in the formality of attire between men and women at my current school: most men wear suits, shirt and tie (bar PE and Construction teachers) where apart from female members of SMT most wear clothes that is far more casual. I guess if it got to the point where they had unwanted attention from the hormonal pups then it's time to cover up!

4. I always tried to minimise my boobs and never wore revealing clothing. A colleague who had smaller boobs and who did her best to make them look bigger and also wear revealing clothing reported me to SMT for talking about boobs in class! I'd overheard a rather inappropriate conversation between some young men about her boobs and decided to inform them that the conversation was inappropriate - and she reported me for that!

5. Richie Millions

Richie Millions New commenter

Baubles & Shifter are known authorities on this subject, where are they?

6. im appliying for a job at your school.......where i work there is nt a cleavage to be seen!!!

7. Nooooooooo!!!!!!!!

Now I have a mental image of 'Bricklayers Cleavage' [​IMG]

Must go and bleach my mind.

8. We are not authorities on the subject, Richie, it's just that ,viewed from a distance, in the right light, we resemble a pair of the aforementioned jubblies.

9. I have been criticised at work for having boobs that "move when you walk" with a suggestion that I buy a sturdier bra; that my nipples were poking through my (thick woolly) jumper, like I have any control over that at all, and that my cleavage starts too far up.
    When I was younger I took these comments seriously and spent six months wearing polo-neck jumpers which if anything made me look even bigger and bouncier. Now I wonder why I didn't just report the harpies for harrassment.

10. It doesn't help that so many garments these days insist on low cut necklines - whatever happened to the Lady Di collar?

11. my cleavage is magnificent, and i show as much as possible off at every opportunity.

12. no one has ever complained.

13. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

Weirdo.

14. Eva_Smith

Eva_Smith Established commenter

Bauble said 'jubblies'

Tee hee! [​IMG]

15. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

Aaargh - the polo-neck jumper disaster. Never works to hide big boobs.
    I am very careful what I wear to work but so many fashion tops are cut to display loads. We have had a problem with 6th formers recently. It is so hard to say how many is too much, it depends on your size, the type of bra you wear and sometimes where you are sitting relative to the person looking.
    Glad to hear that your SMT have seen sense. Your colleague was totally out of order.

16. anon468

anon468 New commenter

Jeez, that person likes living dangerously... [​IMG]

17. What a weird story. Bloody hell, it's hard enough to get an audience with middle and senior management, yet they all trooped along to your clasroom to look at your breasts?
    so how did you know she complained about your cleavage? Did she say "your t.its are too big and I'm telling?" (sounds plausible - not), or did the line manager and SMT come to see you, tell you that colleague X had complained and assure you that your cleavage display was wholly appropriate? Or did you go and see each of them in turn and say "whaddya think of my boobs?"
    FWIW, not keen on cleavage at work becuase it makes the students horribly embarrassed. You can wear nice fitted clothes, but no need to display the line between your breasts. If you are quite well endowed, it can be unavoidable, but best avoided really.

18. I find avoiding this problem a real challenge. I'm sure the shops are cutting their tops and vests lower and lower each year!

19. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Damn...buntycat got there first! There are some bloody weird teachers around - and some even weirder SLT if they take them seriously.

20. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

IMO camis are a saviour. I wear what I want but make sure I have a cami to hide anything esp when leaning over...