1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Clearly earning less as a teacher...!

Discussion in 'Education news' started by thekillers1, Dec 5, 2018.

1. thekillers1

thekillers1 Lead commenter

FFBBC84C-3D4D-481E-85B6-C577F23D3E41.jpeg

install likes this.
  2. simonbfc

simonbfc New commenter

But he won't be building up a good pension before receiving that net pay and have decent holidays or have much chance of career progression. I am a Teacher and think we should be paid more, but it is important to have the full picture.

3. thekillers1

Thank you :)

4. drek

drek Lead commenter

But many teachers are being driven out - replaced by a succession of newbies, or fall Ill due to the mental and physical stress of their conditions at work.

Can't build up anything on straw supports.......

damia69, Alice K, Shedman and 6 others like this.
  5. Robfreeman

Robfreeman Occasional commenter

I will bite
    1. Yes i have decent holidays but im not paid for those holidays my term time pay is pro rata to cover that period. If i wanted a summer job i need my HT permission.
    2. What career progression - not everyone can be a HoD or SLT take a typical school in my area 40-50 teachers 8 HoD and 4 SLT are you saying everyone has good career progression you dont see tons of SLT posts out there.
    3. I do get a good pension by 8% of my pay every month goes into that and i have to work 37 full years according to the TPS to qualify for it. Im 32 also even if i make it to SLT my pension will amount to 21k max.

I enjoy my job but being blunt my take home pay after tax and deductions is 1600 a month. I could if i wanted to get that in other jobs.

damia69, Shedman, agathamorse and 6 others like this.
  6. schoolsout4summer

schoolsout4summer Lead commenter

When did you actually begin teaching? This is VERY important to ascertain whether you are lucky enough to be on the old GOOD Teacher's pension scheme or on the new one, which in comparison is MUCH less generous.

7. simonbfc

simonbfc New commenter

I’ve been teaching 5 years. Im on the new scheme and it is still a very good pension. I used to advise on pensions and investments before becoming a teacher. I wasn’t trying to get anyone to bite at anything. I’m a classroom teacher not SLT. The original post was comparing the take home pay of the waiter with the take home pay of a teacher. All I was pointing out was that the waiters doesn’t take into account an 8.6% deduction for a pension that although not as generous as previously is still a relatively good pension. The waiter will also likely get a lot less in terms of holidays. The waiter will also not get increments of around £2k pa for the first few years.

I firmly believe we teachers deserve more pay and less stress, but if we are making comparisons let’s at least have the full picture when making the comparisons.

JohnJCazorla likes this.
  8. install

install Star commenter

Or dying early or having a breakdown due to stress...yes the full picture isn't rosy if you get to pension age as a teacher.

And many teachers don't live long after retirement (compared to other jobs) if they go all the way ....so much for that supposed pension eh :(

damia69, Shedman, agathamorse and 4 others like this.
  9. simonbfc

simonbfc New commenter

So are you really suggesting waiters have it better ? That seemed to be the point of this thread.

10. install

install Star commenter

Yes - in many ways they do. Overtime pay, a better hourly pay rate, less stress and no debt of £36000 to begin with...
    Teaching is a dead end job now.

11. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

hmm. Building up a good pension as a young teacher.
    Do you trust the governments over the next 40 or 50 or so years to leave you with a decent pension?
    I'm taking mine as early as possible, 2 changes in the last few years, no doubt more on the way as soon as they feel they can blame it on Brexit.

damia69, Alice K, agathamorse and 3 others like this.
  12. install

install Star commenter

Teacher retired from my last school 5 yrs ago looking forward to her pension. She died last year ....the stress of teaching, low pay and extra unpaid long hrs, gets you in the longterm if you stay too long :(

13. schoolsout4summer

If you are ALLOWED to stay too long, of course.

14. schoolsout4summer

What an excellent comparison - a waiter with a teacher.

simonbfc and thekillers1 like this.
  15. Sir_Henry

Sir_Henry Occasional commenter

A science teacher I knew retired two years ago at 60 died 3 months into his retirement. Another (maths) was bullied into leaving at 58 last year and had a major stroke recently. Teaching has to rste as one of the unhealhiest occupations.

damia69, Alice K, agathamorse and 3 others like this.
  16. Oldfashioned

Oldfashioned Occasional commenter

Neither are us supply teachers, despite doing long term posts we get no benefits and aren't seen as good enough for permanent jobs.

Of course, most newer teachers won't do more than 3 or 4 years anyway so they won't be adding much to their pension either.

17. thekillers1

Used to be the police force over ten years ago!

Sir_Henry and agathamorse like this.
  18. blazer

blazer Star commenter

So that works out at nearly £26K before stoppages or about £2150 per month. At 11.33 per hour that is 188 hours per month. Or does the fugure include tips?

Not sure about house prices down under but the cost of living in Oz is higher than the UK. If he is from Melbourne then that is the fastest growing city down there and IIRC property is expensive (relative to the rest of Oz). If he is living in London, gallivanting around Europe at every opportunity (How many of those on a 188 hour working month)? I doubt there will be much left over to buy a house.

simonbfc likes this.
  19. Skeoch

Skeoch Lead commenter

As always, "The plural of anecdote is not data."
    Comparing retirement at say 55 and 65 and life expectancy thereafter has some difficulties. Those retiring at 55 may well have health issues which trigger the early retirement - that would skew the data. Those who don't retire at 55 and intend to retire at 65 may die between those dates, so won't show up in the "retire at 65" cohort.
    ONS data suggests that male teachers retiring at 65 have a life expectancy in the middle 80s, females late 80s. This is lower than "higher professionals" such as lawyers by a couple of years, but better than unskilled occupations by around 5 years.

20. simonCOAL

simonCOAL Occasional commenter

Well said. The ONS data is a good quote.

About a decade ago it was commonly accepted that a very high proportion of head teachers died after a very short time in retirement... until someone published the facts and the reality was completely different. As usual, there was the echo chamber of denial.

Thank you Skeoch.

agathamorse likes this.