1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Clearing the fridge

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by primarycat, Apr 8, 2019.

1. primarycat

primarycat Star commenter

I think I'll have to empty the fridge tomorrow for new kitchen floor laying purposes.

I'd like to think I'll be totally rational, look at expiry dates etc and dispose of unwanted items accordingly.

I suspect what I'll actually do is look,then think either:

It's recycling day, there's a dreg, it's cheap, I'll sling it

Or:

It's a pain to source. It hasn't been in date since my gran played lacrosse but I'm sure it'll be fine.

Slightly hoping that I'm not the only one who can be cavalier.

2. bizent

bizent Star commenter

We did this before Christmas as our fridge freezer was on its last legs.
    MIL interfered and cut a long story short we threw everything away and just started again.

primarycat likes this.
  3. primarycat

primarycat Star commenter

I got rid of 3 jars of out of date apple sauce(why so many?) , some dreggy things that weren't worth keeping and loaded the rest into the dining table. I may re-examine once it can all go back in.

4. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

I tend to keep jarred stuff in the fridge until it A) gets used or B) grows new life. Anything else gets kept. I have 2 jars of horseradish in the pantry and only Mr EG and our son eat it.

primarycat likes this.
  5. towncryer

towncryer Established commenter

This inspired me to declutter our fridge...particularly as we were finding it difficult to fit things in. I found so many jars and boxes that didn't need to there and could be moved to the cupboard. Also boxes with, for example, a couple of spoons of flour taking up room. a bag of mangoes were lurking in the back and building up a fine head of white hair...husband bought to make juice and then forgot about. A great deal went in the bin and I am appalled at our wastefulness. So now the fridge has space to store fresh food and we have a 2 day limit to use up fresh fruit which doesn't have a long life out here anyway as it was probably lingering in the hull of a cargo boat for a week or two before it hit the shops.There might even be room to keep an Easter egg in there...I have seen one I like...though I doubt it will be in there long!

primarycat likes this.