1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Clear this up - OCR Nationals and Y9 from September

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by Tony22, Jul 10, 2012.

1. Tony22

Tony22 New commenter

Right need this clearing up once and for all.

Can current year 8's start OCR Nationals 2010 spec in September if we enter them before the August entry deadline? We would get everything moderated at the end of Y10 (summer 2014 - moderated before the December 2014 deadline) and these student would achieve the National Award (2 GCSEs).

They would then leave school in summer 2015, would it count in the league tables? Knowing we've had it all moderated before the december deadline mentioned above.

We had always planned on doing cambridge nationals but our ocr moderator today said we could still do the above which is why i'm asking for clarification.

Cheers

2. Tony22

Tony22 New commenter

Right need this clearing up once and for all.

Can current year 8's start OCR Nationals 2010 spec in September if we enter them before the August entry deadline? We would get everything moderated at the end of Y10 (summer 2014 - moderated before the December 2014 deadline) and these student would achieve the National Award (2 GCSEs).

They would then leave school in summer 2015, would it count in the league tables? Knowing we've had it all moderated before the december deadline mentioned above.

We had always planned on doing cambridge nationals but our ocr moderator today said we could still do the above which is why i'm asking for clarification.

Cheers

3. djphillips1408

djphillips1408 New commenter

No it would not count in league tables as there is no externally assessed element

4. catch222

catch222 New commenter

I had a simialr query, and was told that my current year 9's would be fine, but no-one after that... I had an email from a friend which resulted in them giving me that answer. Hope it helps?

5. rubikwizard

rubikwizard New commenter

Current year 9s can enter BUT they must enter for the 2 GCSE equivalent course and even then it will only be counted as 1 GCSE. If they enter for the 1 GCSE equivalent it will only count as a short course.

6. catch222

catch222 New commenter

Really?!
    Oh bother :(

So what will our bottom set students who are being entered for short course get?

I'm very confused now.

7. jweb2k

jweb2k New commenter

A short course certificate and a pat on the back. Equivalent to half GCSE with no league table points.

8. djphillips1408

djphillips1408 New commenter

This advice is correct! I misread the opening post that clearly stated going for the 2 GCSE equivalent

9. catch222

catch222 New commenter

Bother! Quite a challenge then... My head is going to have a challenging conversation then...