1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Clear choice in December election...

Discussion in 'Personal' started by red_observer, Oct 29, 2019.

1. red_observer

red_observer Star commenter

At last!
    Tories will be hoping people are stupid to vote for a Hard Brexit and ruin this country.
    Liberals will hope people will ignore the democratic wishes of the people in 2016 and ruin our democracy due ever.
    The Brexit Party will be hoping enough xenophobes and racists vote for them.
    The Labour Party has got the most appealing option... a soft Brexit then a referendum and Remain on the ballot.
    Labours to win!

2. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

They need to hurry up and articulate what they will be asking the EU to agree to before the election.

3. SparkMaths

SparkMaths Occasional commenter

I think a lot of people just want Brexit to be dealt with and the Labour platform is to not deal with it and have yet another vote (in addition to the original referendum, two general elections and everything in the House of Comons).

That makes Labour the least appealing option to a lot of people.

I don't think there's anything wrong with just voting Lib Dem if you want to remain and having it dealt with in one vote, instead of voting Labour then Remain and doing two votes.

It's actually looking like Boris Johnson may just get his way on this.

As for me, I'll probably vote Labour for economic reasons but they have done fairly poorly on Brexit.

4. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

I voted Labour in 2017. Definitely not making the same mistake twice.

5. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

I have almost always voted Labour but may not this time. It might be the Lib Dems but no decision as yet. I know where my little cross wont be going for definite.

6. ROSIEGIRL

ROSIEGIRL Senior commenter

Not clear at all to many of us.

7. Jonntyboy

Jonntyboy Occasional commenter

At last indeed, Red October!

The Tories will be hoping that the cowardly refusal of LibDems and Labour to agree to an election for weeks, despite saying they wanted one, and the fact that they both reneged on their manifesto "promises" about Brexit, will give them many more votes.

The LibDems will be hoping that enough naive, woolly-minded idealists who a) actually think that being in the corrupt EU is a good thing and b) are climate change believers, will vote for them, despite all the evidence and despite them having no realistic policies on anything else.

Labour will be hoping that many of their voters will forget that most of their non-London MPs have cynically betrayed their constituents. They will also be hoping that nobody shows Diane Abbott lying in her car-crash interview again. Some chance of that not happening... :D

The Greens will, er, ramble disjointedly on about some supposed threat to the environment by - don't laugh - CO2. They might also make a comment about why the decline in polar bear numbers shows that polar bear numbers have increased... though how they will square that circle should be interesting.

The Brexit Party - of which, being an illiterate, uneducated, mutant, insane, homicidal, racist, misogynistic xenophobe, I am of course a member - will need to consider very carefully how best to plan its strategy, as the only thing that really matters at the moment is getting out of the corrupt EU as soon as possible.

MUKGA, outside the EU, shall be our cry! :):):)

8. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Clear choice in Scotland.

9. Oscillatingass

Oscillatingass Star commenter

Dunno, I've never been there.

10. blazer

blazer Star commenter

So our choices are
    Tories- Who are not sure if they want Brexit or not
    Labour- Who are not sure if they want Brexit or not
    Liberals- Who want to stay in Europe
    Greens- Who knows what they believe?
    Brexit party- Who I think want to leave Europe

Some of us also may have:
    The SNP who want to be anywhere the English aren't
    DUP who believe the Flintstones was a documentary.

11. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Clear anything is quite rare in Scotland - it is a misty and atmospheric place. :)

Oscillatingass likes this.
  12. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Just curious really, but if you want to make us Great 'again', when do you consider the UK was last "Great"?

13. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

50% of voters are below average intelligence.

14. magic surf bus

..and an unrealistically utopian vision at that, but something to strive for.

Classic comment there @blazer. :)

15. magic surf bus

When King Arthur was King of course you silly person. Not to mention when we defeated Nazi Germany single-handed and the map of the solar system was all pink, but not in a gay way. You really need to read your British history.

caress, smoothnewt and Aquamarina1234 like this.
  16. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

17. red_observer

red_observer Star commenter

It wasn’t a mistake.

18. Skeoch

Skeoch Lead commenter

The election only muddies the waters, at least Lab/Con waters. There are Lab MPs who earnestly want Brexit; there are Lab MPs who earnestly want Remain, and there are Lab MPs who feel they have to go for Brexit because of the way their constituency voted. This applies to Con MPs too.
    So we have to choose between two parties neither of which is fully behind Brexit nor Remain

19. Kandahar

Kandahar Established commenter

Mostly those supporting Brexit apparently.

20. Kandahar

Kandahar Established commenter

It is always a mistake - since Blair, at least. Nothing has changed in that regard - you only have to Mr. Burnham to realise this.

Jonntyboy likes this.