1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Cleaning

Discussion in 'News' started by bibdaddy, May 31, 2020.

1. bibdaddy

bibdaddy New commenter

We have had our plans emailed to us earlier this week to give staff guidance for when we reopen tomorrow. One of the questions that has been raised is regarding cleaning. As a staff, a number of us have concerns over the cleanliness of the school- bags still on top of lockers and paint smears in the sink from prior to lockdown demonstrating that a deep clean hasn’t taken place.Now we have been told that teachers have to clean and hoover their own classrooms after our ‘bubble’ has gone home. Just seeking some guidance to ascertain if this is expected. Not being precious but it’s part of a bigger issue at the moment.

2. braemar

braemar New commenter

I would get the union involved.

3. Morninglover

Morninglover Star commenter

Hahahahaha! You are joking, aren't you? If cleaning is important (it is, of course) then why not employ cleaners? Or SLT can do it? Or ask parents to come in and do it?
    So, contact your union; refuse to do it; or phone in sick tomorrow - 'stress caused by the instruction to undertake a dangerous task'.

4. CabbageWhite20

CabbageWhite20 Occasional commenter

Flip that over to a parent point of view - how many would be happy to know that’s how the cleaning was being done? I do keep a few cleaning bits in my classroom (probably breaking a few rules even though they are locked away) but I don’t ‘clean it’. They need cleaners, with proper chemicals to do it properly. I’d try and talk to SLT first (not sure if you feel that is an option) but then yes, Union.

5. Marshall

Marshall Star commenter

What a joke the situation is:(

Catgirl1964 likes this.
  6. Counterpart

Counterpart New commenter

I think that I've heard it all now! Does each classroom have its own hoover? Surely there is an issue if you have to share? Dyson, Henry H and other brands are also available in case I'm reported for advertising! It really isn't a time for sarcasm but goodness me this is getting silly! Are SLT doing their rooms too? On a serious note, this may be a health and safety issue as what if you do not clean it sufficiently, someone tests positively and the source comes from your room?

agathamorse likes this.
  7. Maxmax77

Maxmax77 New commenter

We have also been told that we have to clean, and will be given a document (like they have in public toilets) to sign at our designated cleaning times.
    Everyone else at my school seems to think this is ok. I feel like the only one not happy about it.

Catgirl1964 and agathamorse like this.
  8. Morninglover

Morninglover Star commenter

Go sick.

NB I'd also say, if told all the other staff are happy with this "fine; let them do my room too."

DonutBoy99 and agathamorse like this.
  9. botanybod

botanybod New commenter

I'm interested to know what sort of school those who have been asked to clean teach in? Secondary or primary? Independent or state? A school without any union reps?!

10. Maxmax77

Maxmax77 New commenter

Mine’s a primary school. There is no union rep. There are a handful of us in a union but everyone is too scared of being pushed out to ever argue or disagree with SLT.

Piscean1 likes this.
  11. insetsceptic

insetsceptic New commenter

Does a doctor clean their surgery? A solicitor their office, an MP the House of Commons? No, because people are employed in these places who have the appropriate protective clothing. I have to go to work in a suit -and I'm not prepared to get that dirty. I'm certainly not too grand to clean- but that is limited to my own home or other people's if I choose to become a cleaner. By cleaning your school, you are depriving somebody of a job- albeit a poorly paid one in many cases. There was a time when unions sorted out this sort of nonsense. Push is rapidly coming to shove in 2020 Britain. We recently celebrated VE day. Many of my teachers served in WW2- SLT were scared of them and not the other way round!

Last edited: Jun 2, 2020
  12. botanybod

botanybod New commenter

Contact your union directly, you don't need a rep. They will give you advice.

agathamorse likes this.