1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Cleaning the minibus. My job? How often does yours get cleaned and by whom?

Discussion in 'Physical education' started by primarysteve, Jan 4, 2012.

1. I work in a PRU and will be taking a group out a couple of times a week to an outdoor activities centre using the school minibus. I have been told by the PRU that I need to clean out the minibus (quite literally to the extent of mop and bucket) after every time I take it out and ensure it is spotless.

Clearely due to the nature of the activities we will be doing and despite my best efforts to try to ensure the kids keep it clean I'm sure it will not be spotless.

I really don't see that it is the responsibility of the teacher driving the minibus to clean it out, and certainly not after every trip.

As I'm fairly new to this and not experienced with the etiquette of looking after a school minibus I'd appreciate some advice on what happens in other schools i.e. who cleans it and how often; if at all; as the only other school I worked in with a minibus I don't remember anyone cleaning it ever!

2. I work in a PRU and will be taking a group out a couple of times a week to an outdoor activities centre using the school minibus. I have been told by the PRU that I need to clean out the minibus (quite literally to the extent of mop and bucket) after every time I take it out and ensure it is spotless.

Clearely due to the nature of the activities we will be doing and despite my best efforts to try to ensure the kids keep it clean I'm sure it will not be spotless.

I really don't see that it is the responsibility of the teacher driving the minibus to clean it out, and certainly not after every trip.

As I'm fairly new to this and not experienced with the etiquette of looking after a school minibus I'd appreciate some advice on what happens in other schools i.e. who cleans it and how often; if at all; as the only other school I worked in with a minibus I don't remember anyone cleaning it ever!

3. stopwatch

stopwatch Established commenter

Sorry I am a bit behind the times - what's a PRU?
    Regards your question, it is up to the person being asked to cllean the bus. If they are OK with it, then they can clean it. I can't imagine many falling into this category.
    I wouldn't see it as my job to clean the bus (ie hose it down, mop the floor) but would clear any general rubbish - or better get the kids to do it.
    Depends also what your job contract says. 'any reasonable task requested' can be interpreted as many things.
    I would look at alternatives if you genuinely don't think it is your job. Perhaps get the kids to do it, or to help you do it.

4. funkygirl

funkygirl New commenter

PRU = Pupil Referral Unit

5. funkygirl

funkygirl New commenter

All minibus drivers in our school clear up after ourselves and ensure that petrol is topped up to make it easier on everyone else. Its not in a teachers job description (Don't know if its in a caretakers job description) to clear out a minibus but if I was due to use it the next day and it was covered in mud (from football/Rugby away matches etc or general rubbish such as crisp packets, sandwiches then I would be pretty miffed!! At the end of the day, our policy is leave it how YOU would like o find it.