1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

cleaning shells

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Lilaclady, Jun 16, 2007.

1. Lilaclady

Lilaclady New commenter

Exhausted after residential visit to the coast but at least have big bag of shells to do some arty activities. Our Head, however, reckoned that I should clean them by boiling them, otherwise they would smell! Is she right?? I'm sure that I've managed to stick shells on things before and just washed and dried them first, then varnished. Don't really want to spend a long time in the kitchen tomorrow... reports are calling... any ideas please? Can't find any references to boiling shells when searching for "shell craft" on the net. English is my Head's second language so I am thinking this is something lost in translation...

2. Lilaclady

Lilaclady New commenter

Exhausted after residential visit to the coast but at least have big bag of shells to do some arty activities. Our Head, however, reckoned that I should clean them by boiling them, otherwise they would smell! Is she right?? I'm sure that I've managed to stick shells on things before and just washed and dried them first, then varnished. Don't really want to spend a long time in the kitchen tomorrow... reports are calling... any ideas please? Can't find any references to boiling shells when searching for "shell craft" on the net. English is my Head's second language so I am thinking this is something lost in translation...

3. i'd just ensure they were empty other wise they really will smell and then just wash them in hot soapy water and leave to dry.

4. Lilaclady

Lilaclady New commenter

Thanks - that's what I thought too!

5. Hello
    Hope you solved the problem-i have always just boiled them-I am currently doing some research for a Yorkshire museum who have a shell collection and are wanting to use it in alternative curriculum areas than they currently do (mainly at the seaside past and present). i was wondering if you had used your collection in any unusual ways.
    Many Thanks
    MM-S