1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Cleaning how much do you do ?

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by JO9832, Jul 21, 2011.

1. JO9832

JO9832 New commenter

Well we broke up yesterday but today i have been in all day with my mum , sister and my 10 year old daughter cleaning . Obviously i clean up at the end of each day but the filth in my room is shocking. The cleaner doesnt clean or mop the stafff toilet (she hasnt the time) , the utility room is never swept and mopped , neither is the stock cupboard. I have cleaned all the kitchen area today and have unpluged the fridge and cooker and pulled them out so they can see the filith behing it. My 74 year old mum has wiped all the radiators and cleaned the chairs as again there is no time to do it. I am a nice person , i clean up my own mess and my nursery children do a great job at todyimg up so there are never any toys on the floor and i always leave surfaces clear where possible. The windows and frames have not beeen wiped since last July and i have been told they wont get done due to 'time'.
    This is actually 'pissing me off ' (sorry) i could have done so much with my time today ie things for September , just wondering what other peoples experience of cleaning in the EY is like .

jo

Jo

2. OMG loads of cleaning...every holiday I go in with my mum anddaughter and clean clean clean.It makes me fed up too but not as fed up as working in a filthy room.

3. Leapyearbaby64

Leapyearbaby64 New commenter

Our lovely cleaner left a few months ago and since then we've had 2 agencies and they've both resigned because of all the "mess" in our unit which they reckon they don't have time to deal with. We do leave our classroom tidy and the children are very good at clearing up. But when you have 60 children doing all sorts of creative activities and dough, sand and water during a day, there is bound to be some cleaning that needs to be done.

4. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

I wouldn't expect, or even want, anyone else to clean my stockroom. My room is also very dusty and I will not doubt go in and clean it to my satisfaction the week before we start back. I know it's not part of my job but I want to work in a pleasant environment. Also, when the room is full of 'stuff' during the term it's hard to get at some places.

5. JO9832

JO9832 New commenter

I think you may have misunderstood me Inky with regard to the stock room , i have a very tidy stock room but a sweep out once in a blue moon would be good!!!
    I agree its hard to get in some places but today my sister and i have been scrubbing floors (not just the bits you cant see) , doors , chairs etc. i would have every sympathy with regard to time if i saw it being a problem , but i have watched the caretaker stand outside (underneath) the 'no smokig sign' and have 5 'fag' breaks in 2 hours !
    i agree i want to work in a pleasant environment thats why i clean it , the rest of the school is awful because staff are refusing to clean it , reception stinks of stale milk its horrible.
    Its getting to me as the children spend most of the day on the floor and its me who cleans the skirting boards ! Its also getting to me as i feel its robbing me of time with my own children , i could have spent today getting September stuff sorted before having a good rest and quality family time .

6. I no how you feel Jo and I think woking in different schools really shows different peoples approach to cleaning and hygeine. At a school i worked at the cleaner came into class while the children were tidying at the end of the day to help as she was often early for work. This was out of her paid hours but she understood what happens in FS and wanted to help out. The caretaker would often help the cleaners when/ if they were running out of time to make sure everything got done!
    I think its the case with all jobs, the cleaners who come in do their job and go just like theres teachers who come in do the minimal and leave without thinking of others or working as a team.
    Cheer up its the holidays now!!!

7. Loony tunes

Loony tunes New commenter

I'd love the chance to get into school to do some cleaning but there's so much building work going on, we've all been banned from site for the entire holidays. There's a slim chance I'll be able to get in the day before we go back but that's it - I'm tearing my hair out as we weren't given any warning and I've recently moved classroom so am still in the process of getting everything organised.
    I completely sympathise with you - our cleaners have been told to spend a maximum of 15 minutes per classroom and have to buff the floor every other day which basically takes all this time. I used to work somewhere with almost the opposite problem where the cleaner used so much shake and vac on the carpet everyday she was told she was using too much by the school and started buying her own. If you were in after she'd put it down, you had almost no chance of being able to breathe!

8. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

My stock room usually starts off fairly tidy but ends up as a bombsite by the end of term and we can hardly squeeze in ourselves. We just haven't got room to put everything. We used to have a very good cleaner but the one we have now leaves a lot to be desired and the floors are getting to the state you describe. I've cleared as much floor space as I can in the hope they give it a good scrub in the holidays. I also think they are not paid for enough time to dust properly and I'll probably have to do that myself before the beginning of term.
    I do understand where you are coming from.

9. katycustard

katycustard Occasional commenter

I've never had to clean, only tidy and my last two schools were spotless. In one of them the caretaker used to moan about sand on the carpet etc. but not very often.
    In my current school we have a great caretaker and again everywhere is clean, although skirting boards and under cupboards only get cleaned during the school holidays, by the caretaker.

10. Last September we spent over two weeks cleaning the nursery from top to bottom before our children came in. I'd just started at the school and was actually shocked at how disgusting it was. I spent a whole morning scraping playdough off the carpet.
    I complained to the headteacher that when I took the job it was on the understanding that I would be educating children and that I had spent all my time at the school so far as a very over-paid cleaner.
    She then ordered a "deep clean" for March time. We investigated paying an outside company but couldn't find one that would come in and do a one-off. So she asked our existing crappy cleaners to come in over the Easter holidays to do it. Only one could be bothered, and then she was ill, so guess what, no cleaning in the nursery.
    We are expecting another deep clean (by our own cleaners mores the pity) at the end of the summer. We've written a list of all the jobs we did at the beginning of the year, like scraping glue off tables, cleaning paint off chairs, scraping playdough, pulling out units in the kitchen, cleaning round the taps in the toilets (oh yes, they can't even be bothered to do that - I'd hate to see the state of their own homes!).
    Do you think it will happen?
    Update in September ...

11. Find out who your Early Years governor is and ask them to come in to inspect your area for health and safety. Show them the grot and don't cover up for the cleaning staff. Ask them to come in several times a year to look at cleaning issues specifically. The governors can dismiss an underperforming cleaner and renegotiate contracts if they are made aware of the issue.

12. vannie

vannie Lead commenter

I tend to do a lot of cleaning in the holidays - pulling out cupboards - going underneath - wiping chairs etc
    Our school is cleaned daily and 'deep cleaned' in the long holidays - usually ruining displays etc as they employ agency staff to get more done.
    Our caretaker does a great job and is generally under staffed. Cleaners have to do more and more work for the same money. I know this and don't mind doing bits and bobs to help out. Would you be happy if something you said led to a badly paid worker losing their job? Does anyone clean for a living if they have other options?

13. Whilst I can see the point of what you are saying Vannie, I think that sometimes a line has to be drawn as to whose job is it anyway?!
    If a cleaner is being paid to clean and not doing it. Repeatedly being lazy in their attitude to their work, then yes, I think that this should be addressed. Of course you would feel terrible if someone lost their job, but it is the responsibility of all job holders, however lowly paid, to have some kind of responsibility and fulfil the role as required.
    Surely if they do not feel they can do that, then the job isn't for them. And I think this is true of all jobs, not just low paid employment. And without being intentionally rude, cleaning is a fairly low skill job and that is why the pay is as low as it is in comparison to other jobs which require qualifications.

14. vannie

vannie Lead commenter

And I take your point that people should do their best to do the jobs for which they are being paid.
    However - certainly in my experience cleaners' hours are cut but the amount of work is not. Leading to them not being able to be as thorough as they could be. I know our caretaker regularly exceeds her hours in order to maintain standards of cleanliness in our school.
    I don't think that cleaners are being paid to do the job and simply not doing it. I think in many cases they run out of time.
    Yes cleaning is a low skilled job. The pay is very low. They are essential though.
    I wouldn't complain about anyone else until I was fully aware of the reasons for their apparent underperformance.

15. JO9832

JO9832 New commenter

Just to make it very clear i am not a moaner or a horrible person , I have actually been a cleaner (when i was a student) I have spoken to the caretaker who shrugs his shoulders and says 'we dont have time' I have suggested he speak to his boss as if thats the issue someone further up the chain needs to know so that it can get sorted. He shrugs his shoulders 'nothing to do with me' and lights a fag and goes outside !
    The head was beginning to get on to it but has now left for a new post and we have an acting head taking over until Christmas when a permanent one starts. the person i most feel sorry for is my Nursery Nurse she tries to help and works longer to help get it cleaner i try to tell her to go home but she is like me , we cannot stand the filth. I am talking about laziness actually , mopping around things , chatting , time wasting and no pride. The cleaner happily watches us sweeping and wiping and so what we have done now is actually made it worse as we get 'have you cleaned that table yet' from the cleaner !
    The more i think about it the more time i am realising i have actually lost due to this issue. Thank god for my family who have given up time to help me provide a clean environment.
    So for the record i am not cleaner 'bashing' i know there are some good cleaners out there just wish i could have one !

16. JO9832

JO9832 New commenter

Thanks for that suggestion I may just take your advice [​IMG]

17. I work in a nursery setting & it does get very messy. Our cleaner is fantastic & has lots of tricks up her sleeve for getting playdough off carpets, etc. We really appreciate the effort she goes to. Not sure if this is the same in all nurseries but our cleaner comes in twice a day - after our morning session then after our afternoon session.

18. I used to work at a scool where the caretaker told you which two days in the holiday not to come in because he was doing your room.
    He'd move the entire contents to one side of the room and clean from top to bottom - literally from ceiling to floor - and woe-betide anyone who had left so much as a staple in the wall! Then he'd move everything over to the clean side and clean the other half.
    And then he'd put everything back exactly where you had it, so you could get the lay-out sorted before the clean if you wanted.
    I do it all myself now. Cleaners are not employed during the holiday at all. I asked the head about getting someone to steam-clean the lino part of the floor - that is most of it. He said school had a groovy machine that could do it.
    I spoke to the caretaker next, who said he didn't think there would be time in the hols, so basically the floor will stay mucky, as mopping doesn't get it really clean.
    I also bring my own detergents.

19. Leapyearbaby64

Leapyearbaby64 New commenter

It is also likely that the cleaners are being paid a better hourly rate than many of our TAs, which is food for thought.