1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Cleaning duplo etc

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by giggles_88, Jul 8, 2011.

1. After reading the ''how to keep me going....'' thread I've been thinking that my construction toys could do with a good clean, goodness knows how germy they are, but probably there are too many germs to be healthy for the kids! What will be the best way to clean the toys? Thinking about all the little holes at the top of duplo blocks.......I think this is a 'you know when you work in EYFS' moment!

2. Get the kids to wash them in the water tray!

3. But give them those scrubby brushes or put them in the dishwasher.

4. Soak them overnight in a bucket of Milton

5. GemsEYFS

GemsEYFS New commenter

give them buckets of soapy water outdoors and a toothbrush!

6. vannie

vannie Lead commenter

I put them in a net bag and wash them in the washing machine.
    Works a treat.

7. although putting them in the washing machine is the 'noisy' option! works for us though.

8. I never thought about putting it in the washing machine!

9. chey

chey New commenter

in a bag in the dishwasher is def the best option [​IMG]

10. I put my ancient lego in the washing machine in a pillow case-first lot fine.Next lot came out warped and discoloured and wouldn't join together. It was very embarrassing.

11. Net laundry bag (see lakeland etc) in the top shelf of the dishwasher. Works for duplo, mobilo, playmobil, unifix, polydron ... much quieter than the washing machine. I wouldn't rule out shoving them in the water tray and giving the children little brushes butwould follow it with the dishwasher.
    Don't, however, make the mistake of putting beanbags in the washing machine without checking what they are stuffed with. Mine were, literally, bean bags and rather than drying germinated!

12. I'm starting my NQT in Reception in September and hadn't thought of this! I'd suggest leaving them to soak in a bucket of warm soapy water (or the bath!) with some fairy liquid. Or maybe some Dettol liquid - after all it is meant to kill all germs!