1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Cleaning between lesson's

Discussion in 'News' started by ohmygod, Jun 10, 2020.

1. ohmygod

ohmygod New commenter

Due to return next week (secondary pru) - just been informed that 'staff will have to clean tables and chairs between sessions' - as far as I understand it this is not a task for staff to complete - I've checked the union website and there is no specific do's and don'ts - probably because (in my opinion) this is obviously not what we should be doing - advice please!

2. botanybod

botanybod New commenter

No, it's not what you should be doing. You are a teacher, you are not a cleaner. Have you been given detailed training in how to clean thoroughly, in order to reduce transmission? I suspect not. What does your union rep think?

3. ohmygod

ohmygod New commenter

We don't have a union rep on site - just get the standard response from the main helpline - we'll get back to you as soon as we can

agathamorse likes this.
  4. botanybod

botanybod New commenter

You can ring your union, and they will either put you through to one of their employment lawyers, or put you in contact with your area rep. Out of interest, what PPE are they providing in order the carry this out safely?

Marisha and agathamorse like this.
  5. botanybod

botanybod New commenter

Oh sorry, I've just seen that you've already contacted your union. You should be able to find a direct email address for your area rep. For example, if you search on the NEU website for your region, you can find the email addresses of the area reps.

agathamorse likes this.
  6. Owleyes00

Owleyes00 New commenter

We have been asked to clean touch points and tables three times a day. Doesn’t seem like that much of a big deal to me, only takes 5 minutes and I assume in a PRU you will have at least one TA to share cleaning duties with? What would you rather, a cleaner coming and “bursting your bubble” every hour? Or not cleaning at all until the end of the day?

7. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

We wipe down toilet seats, handles, taps and door handles after every bubble visit, otherwise there is the possibility of cross contamination. We don’t have to do tables and chairs as they children have their own.

agathamorse likes this.
  8. Owleyes00

Owleyes00 New commenter

At the moment each of our bubbles has their own toilet to use at the moment so we aren’t cleaning toilets. We are bringing some more children in at the end of June so no doubt this will change!

9. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Our union branch secretary's advice was that teachers should not be cleaning full stop.
    Then all the primary reps pointed out that there was no one else to do it.
    So branch secretary changed her advice to it was ok to clean if we didn't mind and were given training to do so.
    Then all the nursery reps and school based EYFS reps pointed out that we often clean with said chemicals.
    Branch secretary moved the zoom meeting on. :rolleyes:

We are wiping down tables, chairs and other surfaces periodically through the day. We are also cleaning toys and equipment by wiping down, spraying or sterilising overnight. We wipe down door handles and light switches at lunchtime.
    EYFS staff do so happily, KS1 staff raise their eyebrows but do it, KS2 staff haven't stopped complaining.

TheoGriff likes this.
  10. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

Can I “like” a post apart from the last phrase?

Sally006 likes this.
  11. caterpillartobutterfly

If you mean mine...it is specific to my school.
    And to be honest could well be specific to the staff in school.

CarrieV likes this.
  12. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

I won’t take it personally then!
    We are cleaning toilets eight times a day, I seem to spend more time cleaning than teaching

13. caterpillartobutterfly

And then a soddin little Reception child decides to throw their lunch up over my just cleaned climbing frame!

14. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

We had poo on the doors today:(

15. caterpillartobutterfly

LOL I hate that!
    Feel obliged to try and find out who and clean them up as well. (Moments like that make me want to move to countries that don't start school until 7 or 8 years old.)

16. ACOYEAR8

ACOYEAR8 Star commenter

If cleaning keeps me safe I will clean. I wont wait for the union advice because coronavirus won't wait either.

17. insetsceptic

insetsceptic New commenter

If this country wants its children back in school, it will need to provide the cleaners to clean up after them. A teacher teaches, a cleaner cleans. The funding could come from the money that some MPs make from consultancy work. Once we start cleaning, it will become the expected norm. Slippery slope. Too much has been conceded over the last 10 years as it is- e.g teachers' pensions, retirement age, conditions of service etc.

18. Catgirl1964

Catgirl1964 Established commenter

And TAs TA, not clean

insetsceptic likes this.