1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Clean for the queen weekend

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Lascarina, Mar 5, 2016.

1. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

According to the T'graph today, more than 200,000 volunteers are out picking up litter, to tidy Britain ahead of the queen's birthday on 21st of April. But will the queen notice? And won't lots of litter accumulate again before the great day? I am going to take my gripper and pick up 90 items of litter in celebration of her great age. What are you doing?

aspensquiver_2 likes this.
  2. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

Nothing.

Is the Queen to be painted as our collective visting Mother in Law, donning her white gloves and running a fingertip along the nation's skirting?

We should refrain from dropping litter for our own benefit and all the time not to fulfil some weird monarchist campaign.

InkyP, RedQuilt, Lascarina and 2 others like this.
  3. rachel_g41

rachel_g41 Established commenter

We had inspectors in this week.

It occurred to me that inspectors, like the Queen, probably think everything always smells of fresh paint.

rachelpaula008 and Lascarina like this.
  4. cuteinpuce

cuteinpuce Star commenter

I don't understand what this campaign has to do with the Queen. Was her name used just because it made a ropy slogan?

delnon and aspensquiver_2 like this.
  5. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

6. cuteinpuce

cuteinpuce Star commenter

If I ever reach my 90th birthday, I'd rather my friends did something a bit more imaginative than clean up. :confused:

7. aspensquiver_2

aspensquiver_2 Senior commenter

Nice one, cute!

8. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

So the government cuts council funding so one of the services they've cut is litter pick.

Then they want the streets cleaned up for an old woman's 90th birthday so they expect us to do it for them.

right.

9. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

I all in favour of cleaning up - the residents of my road do it every week after the bin men have been but 'Clean for the Queen' is very patronising. I agree we should do it for our own benefit although I'm not venturing down the by-pass to clean down there.