1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Classroom use for the Nintendo DS and Wii

Discussion in 'Primary' started by TheMoje, Jul 14, 2008.

1. TheMoje

TheMoje New commenter

Can can any one think of any innovative ideas for using the the Nintendo DS and Wii's in the classroom in both foundation stage and in Year 6?

2. TheMoje

TheMoje New commenter

Can can any one think of any innovative ideas for using the the Nintendo DS and Wii's in the classroom in both foundation stage and in Year 6?

3. I may be going off on a long shot here... but here are some ideas off the top of my head:

Y6 could investigate whether being good at a game on the Wii sports, eg bowling, makes you a good bowler in real life.

In the Y6 i worked in they were doing healthy living, so they may want to look at whether the Wii is a good form of exercise in science.

The DS brain training is great for mental questions! A school i applied for used them as a daily training exercise and the kids loved to see how 'old' or how heavy (depending on the game) their brain was.

The children could 'design' (obviously not to be made) a game that incorperates the touch screen - they could do surveys on the most popular types of games, colour schemes, research their type of game before designing a story board for their game.

not so hot on foundation stage im afraid... but they are just a few ideas that came straight to mind.

C xx

4. Possibly pointing and shooting the wii controller can help with fine motor skills, its a similar skill to pointing and clicking a mouse i think except they are moving their whole arm....this could possibly complicate things though when they do work with actual computers lol (i have visions of children holding a mouse like a wii controller ha!)

5. The Pictochat feature on the DS is an excellent response tool. Children, in groups, can discuss a text/puzzle/word problem and communicate with other DS as to their opinions/routes to solve etc.
    My kids are using it in maths to discuss methods of solving SATs questions. They love it!

6. This website contains presentations filled with ideas from teachers on how to use a range of hardware in the classroom. There are presentations for both the wii and the DS. There are LOADS of great ways of using them, just wish my budget would stretch that far :(
    http://www.ideastoinspire.co.uk/#3

7. I don't wish to hijack your thread so I've started a new one in opinion.

8. At the risk of being a stuffy old so and so I'd err on the side of caution with "brain training" games. They only really teach you to be good at repetition.

We used to do countdown number rounds and conundrums (gosh - showing my age) as a warm up.

I'd suggest steering clear of the DS as it is handheld and doesn't promote interaction. The wii would be better but then you are restricted to just four controllers.

I'm all for making learning fun but DS' and Wii's is a bit much isn't it?

9. Okay I take back what I said. An articulately planned lesson involving nintendo products can work.

I still disagree with the brain training stuff though because it is just repetition. The Layton games I can see working because they aren't easy!

10. misterroy

misterroy New commenter

I have come here from the other thread, where I posted this old link https://community.tes.co.uk/forums/t/373495.aspx?PageIndex=1 .