1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Classroom temperatures

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by HarleyLiz, Sep 30, 2020.

1. HarleyLiz

HarleyLiz New commenter

Quick question.

Anyone else's school not planning to switch the heating on this winter because it involves air blowing?

I'm worried about the youngsters being cold because they spend a lot of the day sitting. My TA also has arthritis and these conditions will make it flare up.

What are you all planning to wear to stave off pneumonia?

2. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Star commenter

Our heating is already on ... seems ridiculous when all the windows are wide open, but it just adds to all the other things that are beyond our comprehension today! At least there is a bit of warmth in the chilly classrooms, if you're right near a radiator!

3. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Star commenter

As we had booked a trip to Lapland with the grandkids for December - now cancelled - I had already shopped in the sales for thermal base layers, so I'm well set up for the winter.

tall tales, ajrowing and HarleyLiz like this.
  4. hhhh

hhhh Star commenter

Someone who is qualified could look at the health impact of heating and windows, though perhaps it's just rearranging the deckchairs on the Titanic.

Is it meant to be a particularly cold winter?

At school, we were used to wearing our gloves and coats in class, and before you say I'm old, I have taught (this century) in rooms cold enough for the students to wear gloves (yes, I did report it, and no, it's not one billionth as risky as today's classrooms).

HarleyLiz and Catgirl1964 like this.
  5. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Pneumonia isn't caused by being in a cold room.

6. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

Cold v covid = Put layers on.

7. Appilihp40

Appilihp40 New commenter

Several classrooms have had hot air blowers on this week- not convinced that’s healthy.., especially in the room with no windows.

agathamorse likes this.
  8. TrevorCornish9

TrevorCornish9 New commenter

71F is a normal temperature for classrooms, office places and all areas where is some mental activity involved

9. scienceteachasghost

scienceteachasghost Lead commenter

You might get away with it in October but once it gets below freezing and its December might be a different matter.

Although I once worked in a school where the science blocks central heating did not work at all for most of the Winter......

Catgirl1964 likes this.
  10. TheHeadteachersOffice

TheHeadteachersOffice Occasional commenter

Anything that involves circulating air in confined spaces is best avoided at the moment- so your school has made an excellent decision to keep the heating off this year.

We will all have to make sacrifices to keep schools open this winter, whether it be opening windows at all times or doing our bit to help with extra cleaning protocols.

It is vital that all school staff pull together as one unit and follow the rules and procedures laid out by heads and SMT, who will have taken professional, expert advice on these matters.

The money saved from reducing heating provision will also be able to be redeployed to school priority areas and cleaning.

11. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Probably depends on the kind of heating.

12. vannie

vannie Star commenter

THE ONLY TIME being in full menopause is an advantage! Ha Ha

Newidentity, agathamorse and PamDemic like this.