1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Classroom Support Assistant NVQ Qualification Help

Discussion in 'Primary' started by gprince08, May 29, 2011.

1. I'm hoping you can help us!
    My partner is hoping to retrain and become a primary school teacher. Before she does this, she is hoping to become an LSA to gain experience and the enthusiasm to start a PGCE next year. The issue she has is that jobs advertise as requiring different levels of NVQ (1,2 and 3) and she doesn't have any of these quaifications; she does however have a Masters (MSc) and a BA(hons), neither of which are in childcare or education.
    Can anyone shed any light on whether by having studied to M level, she doesn't need NVQ training or would this be something that she needs to gain before applying for jobs?
    Many thanks for you help and we look forward to hearing your advise and expertise.

2. I'm hoping you can help us!
    My partner is hoping to retrain and become a primary school teacher. Before she does this, she is hoping to become an LSA to gain experience and the enthusiasm to start a PGCE next year. The issue she has is that jobs advertise as requiring different levels of NVQ (1,2 and 3) and she doesn't have any of these quaifications; she does however have a Masters (MSc) and a BA(hons), neither of which are in childcare or education.
    Can anyone shed any light on whether by having studied to M level, she doesn't need NVQ training or would this be something that she needs to gain before applying for jobs?
    Many thanks for you help and we look forward to hearing your advise and expertise.

3. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Lead commenter

No, it's a b*gger isn't it.

4. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Errm of course your partner needs to train in the field in which she wishes to work. Having a totally unrelated qualification isn't going to help her do or understand the job.

I'm more concerned that she needs to be a TA in order to gain 'enthusiasm' to be a teacher. If she does not actively WANT to be a teacher with all her being, then she will find it a nightmare from hell job, that is if she can get a job anyway. There is a massive surplus of primary teachers already and it is likely to get worse.

5. I've wanted to be a primary school teacher for years but have only just been able to make the career break. At the end of last year I quit my job in marketing and volunteered in my local primary school whilst I applied for Teaching Assistant roles.

I don't have NVQs in Maths or English but did a Google search and realised that level 3 - I think, can't quite remember now - is equivalent to GCSE level.

My degree is in marketing and my post graduate qualification is in Public Relations, yet that didn't stop me from being offered both of the TA jobs that I applied for.

Schools do want people from professional backgrounds to join their teams - you bring a whole host of other skills to school but you must be able to convey your enthusiasm for the role BEFORE you get to interview stage. Trust me, you need to be enthusiastic before you begin the role because there are some challenging times in school, particularly as support staff and if you don't live, dream and breathe teaching, you won't stick at it.

My advice is for your wife to get some voluntary experience in schools first to be sure of the key stage she'd like to work with and why not visit your local secondary school too, just so she can eliminate secondary teaching from the plan? Also if she sees a job she's interested in, why not call the school and have an informal chat about the role and its requirements?

I've worked in my school as a TA since January this year (having very little classroom experience prior and a non NC subject degree) yet I was recently successful in getting a GTP primary place to begin this September!

6. Sorry my post above is so chunky!

I'm new to posting and had put in loads of lovely paragraphs only to see them disappear when I hit 'post'.

7. Msz

Msz Established commenter

It really depends where you are in the country and down to individual schools. Some are more than happy to take on unqualified staff and pay minimum wage others want a skilled workforce and insist staff are qualified in working with children.
    Like other posters I can't see why she wants a LSA job, either she wants to train to teach or she doesn't. Suggest she volunteers in a school to get a feel of things.