1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Classroom space and school place issues.

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by Jo-Bayne, Dec 29, 2015.

1. Jo-Bayne

Jo-Bayne New commenter

Classroom space and school place issues are set to be a significant challenge in the education sector for 2016.

I'm trying to research what the education sector understand by the term outdoor class room and would be interested in your feedback. Would you use it to decscribe a portacabin or modular classroom - as the image attached? Or is this a term used for learning outdoors and understanding nature and the environment,

What other terms would you use to describe 'outdoor or stand alone classrooms.'

Thanks in advance for your input.

Jo

Attached Files:

2. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

Early Years trained teacher here. An "outdoor classroom" is an outside area equipped with resources for learning outdoors. It might be a specific area with fixed resources, but it might also be any outdoor space (eg. part of the playground) which the teacher equips with resources for an activity. The activity could be anything; it does not need to be linked to nature and the environment.

3. michaelt1979

michaelt1979 Occasional commenter

I understand "outdoor classroom" to mean learning taking place outside.
    For stand-alone huts I say "huts" or "portacabin" for those temporary build ones. In my experience, where an additional separate classroom is built, it is invariably known as "the new classroom"

4. nomad

nomad Star commenter

'Terrapin classroom', but then I am probably giving my age away.

Effiepie likes this.
  5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

As both my learned colleagues say . . .

Best wishes for 2016

6. marlin

marlin Star commenter

or 'mobile'.

7. Jo-Bayne

Jo-Bayne New commenter

Great - thanks so much for your help - this will really help inform our content marketing plan and ensure we get the right message across.