1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Classroom Rules

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by missgeo, Sep 4, 2011.

1. missgeo

missgeo New commenter

Obviously based on school rules - can anyone give me thoughts, opinions? These are for secondary.

Always remember our manners and respect each other
    Be silent when someone is speaking to the class
    Listen carefully and do what is asked
    Come prepared for lessons and try our best at all times
    Respect the room and everyone?s property

2. missgeo

missgeo New commenter

Obviously based on school rules - can anyone give me thoughts, opinions? These are for secondary.

Always remember our manners and respect each other
    Be silent when someone is speaking to the class
    Listen carefully and do what is asked
    Come prepared for lessons and try our best at all times
    Respect the room and everyone?s property

3. GloriaSunshine

GloriaSunshine New commenter

For secondary? I think the my classes would feel you were patronising them. They all know these rules and it's a fair bet that several NQTs will have gone through them. They'll probably have had an assembly where they've been mentioned or a head of year presentation. I wouldn't bother. When you do an activity, say a class discussion, you can say whether you want hands down up or hands down. You can remind them that one person speaks and everyone else listens and so on. When they write in their books, make it clear what is expected. The really important thing is to be consistent and to get them used to your preferences from the outset.

4. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I agree they sound a bit 'young' and so will seem patronising.

With secondary I would just clearly and firmly state that the main rule they need to remember is 'when I'm talking you are silent and listening' and say that obviously they will work incredibly hard and behave impeccably in my lesson.

Then get on and teach.