1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Classroom or Hall for KS2 SATs?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Sally006, Apr 20, 2017.

1. Sally006

Sally006 New commenter

Hi there, I was after some advice from Y6 colleagues as to where your kids do their SATs and what works best in your school. We have always had ours in the hall but we have had a change of head who firmly believes that kids perform better in their classrooms. There is a lot of research to support this theory it seems. I am not doubting this at all but I am really worried about complying with the test arrangement guidance which clearly states children must not be able to see another child's answers. Due to the size of my room and type of furniture I would have to have them 2 to a table end to end. Space between tables would be very tight indeed so I am not confident I could ensure they can see each other's answers. They are good kids and an honest bunch but I can't guarantee they couldn't when so close. We were inspected last year in our hall and all was fine but apparently this is now NOT common practice and frowned upon. How can I best arrange my room then? Any suggestions? We are one form entry with no "spare" rooms so it's all 25 in there - glad I haven't go 30+ as in previous years!! Help, please!

2. whitestag

whitestag Senior commenter

Sounds like a no-brainer to me. I'd definitely do them in the hall. You don't have to go through the rigmarole of covering up displays, taking posters down etc.

I just think, the way you've described it with the lack of space you have in your classroom, you're potentially opening yourself up to all kinds of risks about maladministration, kids seeing each others' answers etc.

Safer all round to space them out in the hall. Personally, I really don't think it makes any difference. They're not going to get a question wrong because they were sitting in the hall and not the classroom.

If your head insists, then you just do your best with the classroom I suppose! Perhaps arrange the tables facing the walls?

ultimatedingbat likes this.
  3. krisgreg30

krisgreg30 Occasional commenter

We have them in the classroom sheerly because the idea of frogmarching them up to the hall to sit in Victorian style rows doesn't sit well with us as staff for ensuring they are as happy as they can be. Other issue is the kitchen is next to the hall and creates a lot of noise so wouldn't be feasible. We arrange the tables so they are either end of the table with the odd single table with a person on to try and create a room where people can't look over easily.

sally90, alexanderosman and Pomz like this.
  4. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

I must admit I prefer classroom.
    It's worth while spending some time experimenting with tables. Sometimes a complete change works out better as there's no reason for the children to be able to see the board.
    Plus if you've got 'readers' for a couple of children, they need to be somewhere different and that can release a bit of classroom space.

sally90 and Pomz like this.
  5. CarrieV

CarrieV Senior commenter

We have ours in the hall for similar reasons, they would be sitting on top of each other ( we have 40 children in the class!) and taking down displays would be a pain! We can spread them out much further in the Hall. ( Plus, the children seem to take things much more "seriously" when in the hall, they prefer being in the hall and see it as a privilege!

6. Sally006

Sally006 New commenter

Thanks for the advice. I too have found that the children have always "risen to the occasion" using the hall. The classroom is the place to relax and "down tools" afterwards. I'm really concerned about the space issue. That we are changing the status quo has only been mentioned this week with 2 weeks to go. A worry I was not expecting.

7. krisgreg30

Ultimately you will know what works better for your children than anyone else. Fight for whatever you believe will work best for them and show why you know that's the case.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  8. brighton56

brighton56 Occasional commenter

Good luck everyone. Not long to go now!

9. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Maybe ask your head if she minds you carrying on with the hall again this year, just because you and the class were expecting it and to change it now might throw them. However make sure she knows you will happily try them in the classroom next year and will ensure the children know about the change from the start of the year.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  10. modgepodge

modgepodge Occasional commenter

I'm insisting on the classroom for the first time this year, we always have a lot of anxiety about the tests. My theory is, we take tests in the classroom all the bl**dy time, and that's not scary. So why would SATs be scary? Oh, because we make them sit in the hall and make it really different. No, much better in classrooms I think. There is also research to suggest people remember things better if they are trying to recall them in the environment they learnt them in. Every little helps!!

We always have lots who need readers/extra time/rest breaks etc and the classrooms are used anyway, so displays have to be covered either way.

On a practical note, we also have the noise from the kitchen issue, and noise from the rest of the school (not a problem where our classes are located). Plus, it minimised disruption for the rest of the school as assembly, PE lessons etc can still take place.

11. ultimatedingbat

ultimatedingbat Occasional commenter

All those years ago I sat mine in the classroom and it did feel less scary. It was a safe place.
    My teacher then used it as an excuse to change his main displays so he had them stripped anyway

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  12. chloef23

chloef23 New commenter

We have them in the classroom. Rather than take our display down, we staple large (A2/1) sheets of paper over the top so come Friday we only have to remove a bunch of tables rather than re-do 8 boards!

13. Spiritwalkerness

Spiritwalkerness Star commenter

I used fabric, ( had bought a huge roll one year to make backdrops for the hall )that was even easier as I just ran it from one end of the room to the other.

14. Pomz

Pomz Occasional commenter

me too :)

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  15. krisgreg30

We do the same. Much easier at the end of the week like you say :)

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  16. Milgod

Milgod Established commenter

Classroom for us. They to any practice papers in there and are used to it, so no need to change. We don't have much on the walls to cover/take down either.

It can be a bit cramped, but you could sit some in a different room if you wanted (library?).

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  17. Milgod

Milgod Established commenter

I just read through the other replies. I find it hard to imagine what's on your walls tgat takes so long to take down or 're-do'. Sounds like you all have loads up. I'm definitely of the 'less is more' brigade.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  18. brighton56

brighton56 Occasional commenter

Anyone got any predictions for each test?

Will we see Shakespeare in the reading test? Will the subjunctive rear its head in grammar? More on data handling in maths?!

Lara mfl 05 likes this.