1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

classroom observation

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by valiantkate, Nov 13, 2011.

1. I have just recieved feedback from our new head about an observation that took place a week ago.I was given a slating and made to feel like I was 5 years old. It was very humiliating and upsetting. I have been teaching a long time and I know that I am a good teacher. In fact this is the first negative observation I have ever received. We had an Ofsted inspection in the summer and I was classed as an 'outstanding' teacher.
    I am to receive another observation shortly, quite frankly I havent slept all weekend.
    I have noticed though that the head AND deputy observed me. The rest of the staff only had the headteacheer. I am not the only teacher to receive a 'slating', a colleague of mine has been off work since her feedback.
    I do agree with some of the comments but feel VERY vulnerable, as I mentioned I am an 'older' teacher, is the new head trying to push us out?
    Any comments or am I getting thoughts of paranoia????

2. FollyFairy

FollyFairy Occasional commenter

There could many reasons why HT thought the lesson did not go well - here are some of my thoughts; did YOU think the lesson went well? If you were observing you what would you change? Improve? Keep the same? The fact that you are not the only one who has received such treatment is cold comfort to you at the moment, however, at least you know you are not alone - is the other teacher in same dept? Same age? Same sex? The HT may just be asserting his/her authority... is the school 'outstanding' or near the bottom as this can also determine whether the HT thinks teaching and learning needs to improve across the board. Did s/he give you any constructive feedback? if not, ask for it - it is not good enough to give negative feedback without any targets for next time.... how is your HT to you in daily life? it may be that s/he wants new blood in the school, but at the moment, I would say (though I know not easy) relax, stay calm, and don't worry! xx

3. FollyFairy

This link may also help:
    http://www.atl.org.uk/Images/ADV19%20classroom%20observation.pdf

4. FollyFairy, thanks for your thoughts. Our school was outstanding. I do understand that the new HT is putting their 'stamp' on the school. It just came as a shock as I thought the lesson went well. I'm going to check the link you sent before doing some work. M[​IMG]any thanks again x

5. becktonboy

becktonboy New commenter

not much to add, valuiantkate, but I did have some thoughts about LOs - here

6. Perhaps your new Head is putting into practise twhat they learned in the module called 'getting the wrong people off the bus', in their NPQH course!

7. At the age of 50 I had my first experience of discrimination because I was old. I am an able bodied, white, heterosexual man. It came as a bit of a shock.
    Getting rid of older teachers is, seemingly, rife.

8. Compassman

Compassman Star commenter

Sad but true. All those years of experience count for nothing because you are no longer the 'emperors new clothes'. You observe teachers and tell them they are inadequate and slowly but surely they get forced out of the profession leaving younger teachers who always say 'yes'!

9. came into work today, chin up and doing my job.

10. Mrs_Frog

Mrs_Frog New commenter

Well done. Keep us posted as to what is going on

11. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Is this a joke - or is there really a module with this title? I wouldn't put it past them down the NCSL.

12. FollyFairy

Hope you day is going well! xx

13. Second observation was delayed as the head was 'too busy' anyway, eventually got the observation out of the way and got a 'good', what a relief, however the head continues to lambast me for every little thing I do- petty, insignificant things- like my northern accent. All I can say is - eee by gum, I'm off to buy a cloth cap and a whippet now, cherrio folks and a big thank you for your support, you helped me so much.
    K

14. p1j39

p1j39 New commenter

You must get union help asap! This is bullying. The head has no right to criticise an accent! You probably have ground to complain to the LA

15. chriszwinter1

chriszwinter1 New commenter

Too right! This is identical to criticising someone's gender or race or ethnicity or anything else. Check your LA's anti-bullying and anti-harassment policy. You'd be surprised what could be in there.