1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Classroom management - who decides?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by sallysparrow, Jul 20, 2012.

1. Unless it's school policy - and far too many schools are beginning to dictate how classes should be set up - it's up to you what you do as long as the head is happy with it - some have a tendency to interfer more than others in my experience.
    Also if the FS leader wants you to do some thing s/he should tell you directly not through your TA!

2. Gareth-Brown

Gareth-Brown New commenter

If you take on a class routine that you're not happy with then it probably won't work for you. Set your class up how you like using the methods and routines that you like, chances are they will work for you better. If you have a good reason for your routines then there shouldn't be a problem using them.

3. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Luckily you now have the summer holiday to get out of this. Go back in September saying confidently that you have thought about it a lot and decided to stick with what was already working well. Say this to the FS leader directly in a sort of "I understand you wanted me to .... but I found ..... worked really well for me and I'd like to stick with it." kind of way.

Do what works for you, don't fret about it and definitely don't be dictated to by a TA acting as go between. The FS may not have said anything of the kind.

and definitely don't think about it all summer. Your classroom is yours to run as you see fit, within school policies.

4. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

your classroom=your rule
    unless the school is one that likes to micro manage
    and i certainly would NOT be told what to do by anyone who was unqualified to teach (yes i do really detest ofsted!)
    incidentally as you have done lots of supply you probably have more real breadth of experience than a teacher (and TA) who has taught just their own class, possibly in just one school!