1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Classroom management and self-harm

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by llanelliboy, Sep 4, 2011.

1. Hi Folks,

A hypothetical situation here.

A year 11 girl who was previously a model student has got an older, dodgy boyfriend.

her work and behaviour has declined sharply and evidence of self-harm has been noticed on her wrists.

What would your next steps be?

2. Hi Folks,

A hypothetical situation here.

A year 11 girl who was previously a model student has got an older, dodgy boyfriend.

her work and behaviour has declined sharply and evidence of self-harm has been noticed on her wrists.

What would your next steps be?

3. Morninglover

Morninglover Lead commenter

Speak to Year Head and the school's designated teacher responsible for CP.

4. Refer to your child protection designated teacher.
    I would probably also record your concerns in a written manner and email/pass to them - keeping a copy securely.

5. lucyrose50

lucyrose50 New commenter

It would depend how well I knew the student - if it was a pupil I had a good relationship with then I'd try to speak to her and give her an opportunity to talk about any issues she's having. If I didn't think that would be appropriate/effective then I'd speak to her form tutor, assuming they would know her better and might already be aware of her problems. Either way, I would also pass it on to child protection and her HoY.
    Having been in a similar situation myself when I was doing my A levels, I
    remember desperately wanting to talk to one of my teachers about it but
    never seeing an opportunity. I felt that my teachers were just giving
    up on me and thinking I just wasn't a good student, and I really wanted
    them to know that really I was still a good student and was trying my
    best but that things were getting in the way and that I needed some help and understanding rather than being told off. Eventually things were getting to breaking point and one of my friends ended up going to speak to one of our teachers on my behalf, and she then talked to me about everything and spoke to my other teachers for me so they knew what was going on. This helped a lot - but it'd have been a lot better if I'd have been able to talk to them earlier on.

6. Thanks for all of your reponses.

This was a hypothetical situation and after lots of arguing about ethics we couldn't find any other way than handing it over to the GO or CPO.