1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Classroom falling apart

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by Lalex123, Jul 17, 2019.

1. Lalex123

Lalex123 Occasional commenter

Hello everybody, I work in an old building and my classroom is on its last legs. I’m not the only one but nobody seems to be able to do anything due to the school finances. Last time we had heavy rain, water had come in through the ceiling somehow and created a giant puddle in the middle of the room. Thankfully no equipment was damaged but I don’t feel very safe!

My question is, what can schools do about this if they have no money? Are there pots of money we can bid for in order to fix the leaks?

As a side note, I think it’s disgusting that schools are allowed to continue to operate under these conditions and not be funded properly in order to fix or maintain the building. We do also have asbestos (thankfully not in my room) and that worries me a lot too.

TIA

2. hs9981

hs9981 Established commenter

3. frustum

frustum Star commenter

If you are concerned about health and safety, talk to your union. (It doesn't answer the question about where the school gets the money from, unfortunately.)

4. Marshall

Marshall Lead commenter

It's difficult. I worked in a classroom with bad damp problems which made my asthma very frequent whereas it wasn't before.

Governors recognised this and treated it as a health and safety issue and we got funding to sort out the problem. The funding came from the Diocese as we were a voluntary aided school. Took a few years though!

pepper5, Lalex123 and grumpydogwoman like this.
  5. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

I have absolutely no idea about the properties of asbestos but I don't imagine particles respect rooms and spaces.

Question: would you be happy for YOUR kid to be taught in these rooms?

6. Marshall

Marshall Lead commenter

I agree! BUT - where to go to get funding? Need to be careful that parents don't start removing children from the school as that would make it even more unsustainable. Don't know the size of the school the OP is from.

pepper5 and Lalex123 like this.
  7. becky70

becky70 Occasional commenter

8. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

A great many schools have asbestos...it is only a problem if disturbed and dust is formed.
    A great many schools have classrooms on their last legs. No it shouldn't be the case, but it is.

If you literally end up with puddles on the floor from the rain, then I would put expensive equipment in that part of the room and that will probably make SLT take notice.

It isn't a new issue, my primary classroom had about five buckets strategically placed each time it rained!

Lalex123 likes this.
  9. thejudgesscoresarein

thejudgesscoresarein Occasional commenter

You need to raise this with the Union and seek their advice. This is a very serious matter as there is significant damage to the building which could inevitably lead to structural issues (if not already).

What you’ll find is, most of the older school buildings were built back in the early to mid 1900s using asbestos as the main building materials. My school I work at was built in 1925 (so nearly 95 years old) and although significant refurbishment work has been completed over the years, the building is definitely ‘aging’. We are currently in the planning stages of a new school building and re-locating to a bigger site nearby.

grumpydogwoman, Lalex123 and pepper5 like this.
  10. Lalex123

Lalex123 Occasional commenter

How are schools able to afford this now the BSF money pot has ran out?

11. Sally006

Sally006 Occasional commenter

I know what you mean. The other day I had to do my PPA in the staff room with water coming through the skylight above me whilst working on the PC (water +electricity = health and safety but it was only the staff room so that makes it ok I guess!). Most classrooms from the 1960s and before actually have low grade asbestos in the ceiling unless it has been removed. I noted that when the engineers came in to unbolt an OHP a few years ago there was all sorts of fuss but we have living under this ceiling for years. Alarmingly, I remember stapling Xmas decs to the ceiling years before (loads of us did) - only years later were we told it was not wise to do that. School buildings are shocking.

Lalex123 likes this.
  12. scienceteachasghost

scienceteachasghost Lead commenter

You could always have an ‘accident’ slipping on the floor. Bet notice is taken then.

Lalex123 likes this.