1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Classroom Experience....Again !

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by Dyesie65, Oct 30, 2015.

1. Dyesie65

Dyesie65 New commenter

I have two meetings next week with Primary School Heads willing to give classroom experience. Great news and I'm pretty excited about the prospect. Appreciate much of this experience could just be observation. Would like the chance to add some value bothin classes and any other areas where a willing volunteer with no experience could help.

Would welcome any ideas on how a volunteer can help out at the same time as getting valuable experience. Or any other insight on how to get the most from my time in school ?

2. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

If you are positive and willing to help, you will be fine. The teachers and TAs will tell you and shownyounwhat to do. Just be prepared to join in. Be observant and when younger home take notes. You will learn on the job.

Enjoy your new volunteer job.

3. OBakaSama

OBakaSama Occasional commenter

As pepper5 mentions, be prepared to join in. Support the teacher and TAs as much as you can.

Certainly find out what the expectations for you as a volunteer is with the teacher, or teachers, you will be working with.

pepper5 likes this.
  4. sofia_sen

sofia_sen Occasional commenter

I work in a SEN school and we get quite a lot of volunteers, PGCE students, workplace experiences, etc.
    I usually ask what they would like to get out of it and go from there. Some people just want to observe and take notes (sometimes that is what they need to do) and some people join in from the first minute.
    My favourite volunteers are the ones who interact with the kids, ask me what they can do and generally ask a lot of questions and show that they are there to learn something.

Have fun!

pepper5 likes this.
  5. Dyesie65

Dyesie65 New commenter

Thanks guys. The Head was fantastic, toured the school and got some great insight. Made it very clear I was happy to help out in any way they saw fit. Start Monday for 2 days a week ! All is good with the world:)

6. OBakaSama

OBakaSama Occasional commenter

Great stuff. Congratulations are in order.

7. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Star commenter

If you wish to continue you could try a job as a Cover Supervisor, usually a lot easier to get into than teaching directly and that will give you further insight into the behaviour management side (not always apparent when you are helping/supporting a regular teacher.

[This comment/section has been removed for breaching our Community Guidelines]

8. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

Is your next post going to be a link to where the OP can buy your book? It does rather undermine the value of your advice.

9. MichaelDickinson

MichaelDickinson New commenter

'Thinking of teaching' .....As a teacher, your title attracts me to be a part of this discussion. Hope I can make some good contributions here. I take this place as a platform to share my teaching experience and inspire someone who would like to choose teaching as their profession....My article about teaching is published in essay writing services..

10. Being a teacher and to take up the profession of teaching was actually my dream. It is really my pleasure to share the experience here and to be part of this community.
    [This comment/section/image has been removed for breaching our Community Guidelines/Terms and conditions]