1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Classroom essentials for first teaching post.

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by lilybet_85, Jul 4, 2010.

1. So, like hundreds of other NQT's out there I will be starting my new job September 1st and I am already thinking about what I am going to need in my new classroom to make sure I have the best possible start.
    I think it would be ideal if we could compile a list for KS1 and KS2 classrooms; essentials for organising/preparing for your first post. That way, anything that can be made/done over the summer can be done and us NQT's can start off our careers with that side of things somewhat sorted [​IMG]

2. Tissues (school ones are horrid)
    Painkillers
    Plasters
    Antibac gel
    Red pen, black pen
    rubbers
    pencil sharpeners
    Blu Tak (it is like gold dust so I find it much easier to just have a personal stash)

3. I'm currently stressing about this - not only is it my first classroom, I'm the first one in the classroom as its a new school!

4. Sillow

Sillow Lead commenter

A big stash of glue sticks.
    Stickers printed/written with your
    name - stick them on EVERYTHING you don't want to disappear!
    Reward chart and stickers.
    Whistle.
    Jar full of lolly sticks for writing kids' names on (great for random selecting!).
    A "fab work" stamp.

5. A guillotine that cuts in straight lines (!)
    Whatever your chosen tool is for removing staples from display boards
    A digital camera

6. Ah this is brilliant!
    Umm,
    -sellotape
    -string
    -split pins (I needed some for art last placement and there weren't any in the whole school, asda or tescos, ended up sending Dad to WHSmiths!)
    -birthday chart so kids bdays aren't forgotten?

7. Although worked in school for a number of years covering PPA in a number of classrooms, I'm now an NQT about to have a classroom of my own for the very first time.... awwww...
    Here's my list so far...
    Tissues (definitely a must! Seen too many a drippy nose to ensure I'm never without!)
    Spare pack of whiteboard pens (nothing more annoying when they run out/break)
    Labels for everything (children need to be independent and know where things are)
    endless pencil sharpeners
    A hand stapler
    Visual timetable (not just for SEN, all children need to know what's going on. When I've covered classes, children are always calmer when they know the plan for the day).
    Huge bar of chocolate!! (safely hidden away for teacher emergencies!!)

8. ditwee

ditwee New commenter

I keep a stash of...

a stack of decent sharpened pencils
    rubber bands
    blu tack
    highlighter pens
    whiteboard pens
    biros in the regulation colours for register (black and red) and marking...remember they get up and walk off all the time so buy at least 10 times what you think you need
    plastic bags - small ones for baby teeth etc. and also ex-tesco ones for muddy/soiled items and kids with no bags
    spare clothes for me and a couple of sets for children
    tons of post it notes
    a large pack of wet wipes (from vast experience Huggies outranks the others)
    air freshener

I also have...
    my own one handed sellotape dispenser, labelled
    my own guillotine ( although I break one about every other month), labelled
    and the most vital and coveted things:
    the best stapler in the world for both wall displays and everything else a Staples One touch (I also bought one for my TA) (labelled)
    and a staple remover - the long handled type.
    and finally...lots of labels!

9. ditwee

ditwee New commenter

Ignore gibberish above. Tried again without Google Chrome this time:I keep a stash of...
    a stack of decent sharpened pencils
    rubber bands
    blu tack
    highlighter pens
    whiteboard pens
    biros in the regulation colours for register (black and red) and marking...remember they get up and walk off all the time so buy at least 10 times what you think you need
    plastic bags - small ones for baby teeth etc. and also ex-tesco ones for muddy/soiled items and kids with no bags
    spare clothes for me and a couple of sets for children
    tons of post it notes
    a large pack of wet wipes (from vast experience Huggies outranks the others)
    air freshener
    I also have...
    my own one handed sellotape dispenser, labelled
    my own guillotine ( although I break one about every other month), labelled
    and the most vital and coveted things:
    the best stapler in the world for both wall displays and everything else a Staples One touch (I also bought one for my TA) (labelled)
    and a staple remover - the long handled type.
    and finally...lots of labels!

10. Oh... this list could end up being endless....
    just remembered a couple more essentials...
    Envelopes (for when kids bring in dinner money etc without any identification it belongs to them).
    Lavender plug in air freshener (not tried this one but it came highly recommended when I was on teaching practice by a very experienced teacher who claimed the kids are so much calmer and that she can really tell a difference when it accidently gets switched off!!)
    Washing up liquid and liquid soap
    Old tea towels (useful for drying art resources)

11. I'm also going to be a NQT in September, with my own class for the very first time.
    One thing that I cannot live without in the classroom are post it notes. They're brilliant
    They have mutiple uses:
    ~ 'To do' lists - can be colour coded to represent different tasks which are prioritised.
    ~ Can be used to record observation on individuals/groups of children for assessment purposes
    ~ Allow children to use them regularly. E.g. in art lessons I encourage the children to record a comment/suggestion on how they could improve upon their work on a post it note, get them to stick this note in their sketchbooks, and then encourage them to refer back to this in order to support the evaluating own learning and performance strand in the National Curriculum.
    ~ Could also be used for the two stars and a wish approach to assessment
    ~The possibilities are endless! :)

12. All of the above
    Story books
    stickers for children get comments in their reading records to encourage them to read at home
    a class bear for children to take home at the weekend as a reward
    dvd stash for wet play etc
    cds - for either before the children arrive or while they are working
    boxes to store all of your stuff in
    a memory stick

Displays!
    I made this class monitor display which is editable.
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290452855454&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT
    It is in the style of a pinboard with post it notes and polaroid pictures of the children.

13. Please be careful with these - Below is part of an e.mail I received some months back from a reliable friend:
    "Following a house fire started by a Glade Plug in an investigator reported he had seen more house fires caused by the plug in type room fresheners than anything else. He said the plastic they are made from is THIN. He also said that in every case there was nothing left to prove that it even existed. When the investigator looked in the wall plug, the two prongs left from the plug-in were still in there."

14. Wow! Thanks for the advice!!
    Hadn't actually decided if I was going to use one but definitely think not now!

15. Maybe you could just have one of those gel air freshners that just sits in the corner or something? (The kind people might put in the bathroom!)

16. A mini whiteboard and pen by the door so you can jot down notes to yourself about which parents you have to have a word with at the end of the day about signing permission slips etc.
    A few extra copies of letters that have been sent home to parents, especially ones with permission slips, and a few pens. Saves having to chase up permission slips as parents can sign them there and then when they collect their children.

17. Spare PE kit - shorts, pumps, t-shirts,
    always handy for forgotten kit or accidents!!!

Also a tambourine has been really useful in getting the children to stop what they are doing immediately and listen to instructions.

18. Don't believe everything you read! The Glade Plug-In story is a hoax. :) http://www.hoax-slayer.com/glade-plug-in-fire.html

19. Hoax or not, remember that scents can be problematic for asthmatics. I'm strict about spraying stuff in classrooms as I know it sets me off.

Bumptious likes this.
  20. Very good point re. allergies!!
    I take it back, no plug in for me!!