1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Classroom doors

Discussion in 'Personal' started by nickydl, Nov 14, 2018.

1. nickydl

nickydl New commenter

Does anyone know if classroom doors should be fitted with self closing devices to stop them from being slammed shut?

A teacher at school today suffered a fractured hand and a bruised head after a student slammed the door behind themselves and didn’t realise the teacher was behind there.

2. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

It's not the sort of thing with a universal regulation. The school ought to have it's own risk assessment for doors if they are deemed a danger because of the slammability (if you know what I mean).
    I'd guess there is nothing there at the moment, but as a result of this incident, provided the accident has been logged properly, the school is obliged to do a risk assessment on the doors if all the teacher was doing was their normal contracted duty.
    I know in some schools they have reams of paperwork about their doors because OFSTED have pulled them up on fire prevention. I'm guessing doors that close normally are less of a fire hazard than those with angled closers at the top, simply because in the event of fire you can close them faster.
    Don't know, guessing. But that would put the door you describe as "ok, fine"

I'm trying to work out how exactly a teacher may be standing to acheive the injuries you describe, and I'm struggling with your word "behind". What is the teacher doing behind the door?! And in what position would they be standing in order for both hand and head to be injured? Were they Irish dancing?! Twerking?!
    If anything, it sounds as if the need is for one of those floor stops to prevent door hitting the wall.

border_walker and nomad like this.
  3. nomad

nomad Star commenter

There is no legal requirement to have anti-spam devices on doors in schools.

There may, possibly, be repercussions if a school failed to fit anti-finger pinch devices on doors in a pre-school but like @sbkrobson i fail to see how the teacher managed to get injured.

4. nickydl

nickydl New commenter

Thanks for the replies.

The teacher had broken up a fight and sent the aggressor out of the classroom. The other student then left the room in distress. He didn’t know that the teacher was behind him and slammed the door as he left. As the teacher was directly behind him, she caught the full force of the door simultaneously on her head and hand.

It had never occurred to me before that a slammed door could potentially be a health and safety issue.

5. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

How on earth is it possible to slam a door on departing a room and not know that somebody is behind you? Surely to even reach the door it obviates the fact of somebody being in a place where they could be hit by it, given that a door opens into a room, not out of it.
    Struggling still!

galanieugenia likes this.
  6. catbefriender

catbefriender Lead commenter

I remember having a doors chat :rolleyes:with the HT in an interview that digressed into why disabled teachers were a liability and I mentioned all the doors in the school were too heavy and there were KS3 boys waiting for someone stronger to open the main door. And he said interestingly when they were building the site they did have a quote for more effective doors which used an electro-magnetic device so that once you pushed it slightly forward or backward it activated it's closing/opening slowly thereby not incurring any additional strain to the individual. However the cost for fitting these devices would be £20 extra per door which would have taken the overall costs into several thousands.

I said to him, the cost of having teachers off work due to back and shoulder pain would be decreased substantially because the cost of one supply teacher is nearing £1000 a week! So it's always down to cost savings. The option was there but the management team instructing the building/refurbishments of the school got the cheapest package for the doors. Let's hope the teacher recovers soon and will be making a claim and that compensation will be issued.