1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Classroom displays

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by Charlington, Feb 13, 2012.

1. Charlington

Charlington New commenter

If you had your own classroom, what displays would you have on the walls?

I only teach KS4 and 5 (French and Spanish). So far I have come up with an 'improving your writing' display, some KS3 vocab recap, cultural pictures, and grade descriptors for both key stages.

If anyone has any suggestions for anything else I could make to go on my walls, that would be brill!

Thanks in advance :)

2. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

You can get lovely posters from tourist offices. Photos from a school trip abroad?

3. noemie

noemie Occasional commenter

Don't forget leaving space for pupils' work - I probably change it round once a half-term (or intend to, anyway!)

4. I have pictures of planes, Star Wars posters, and Star Trek posters. Just because I like them, and they prove a talking point. In fact, one of them was a present from a 6th form class. I also have huge sticker charts for every set I teach - I am amazed at how motivated pupils are to fill them up.
    No pupil work in sight, nor any language phrases, etc. I used to do it all, but I am not convinced that it really helps the pupils. Also, it started to become annoying having to take everything down every time we did a controlled assessment.

5. kittylion

kittylion Established commenter

I used to pin an old (bed)sheet over mine when I did a test.

6. musiclover1

musiclover1 New commenter

A poster of a famous French/Spanish person with a speech bubble that you make up and pin on top of it. Whatever that person says could become a talking poimt for discussion.

7. musiclover1

musiclover1 New commenter

I'd have posters of Barcelona or Real Madrid FC.

8. Charlington

Charlington New commenter

Thanks for the advice everyone!
    I'm going to get in touch with some tourist info places in France and Spain to see if they will send me anything.

Re: those who take down / cover up displays during assessments - can school not re-room you for them to save you taking everything down?

9. Hi. I work in the Secondary Modern Languages team at Oxford University Press - I'm sure I could find some posters etc to send to anyone wanting to brighten up their classrooms! Please drop me a line at claire.beatt@oup.com and I'll see what I can find for you.
    Claire

10. Have a gander at this one... absolutely brilliant, and I get comments about them ALL the time!!
    https://www.tes.co.uk/teaching-resource/MFL-Options-Posters-3011413/