1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

classroom display research

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by veganfreak, May 21, 2011.

1. hiya i am currently working part time through a masters course and am thinking of doing my final piece on classroom displays. i was wondering whether any one has done something similar who would be willing to give me a heads up on any research that has already been carried out which i could read for my literature review.

thank you in advance

2. Msz

Msz Established commenter

Communication Friendly spaces

3. thank you i have looked at this and it has given me some useful information and questions that i could ask!

4. First question could be ...1 "What is classroom display?"
    2 "What/who is it for?"
    3 "Why do it?"
    4 "What is appropriate for the space/postion?"
    5 Ownership and aesthetics

5. Leapyearbaby64

Leapyearbaby64 New commenter

My favourite display board in the classroom is the one the children can reach and they are always sticking their own stuff on it. It's completely random, but very lovely.

6. Leapyearbaby64

PS: Revisiting something from my youth, I've covered some of the display boards with hessian. It lasts for blomming ages and you can't see where any of the pins have been. The classroom looks less like an explosion in a paint factory too.

7. Leapyearbaby64

Sorry, need new glasses. Blooming ages.

8. thank you for all your comments i will look at that article, even my tutors say the topic is narrow and having to really think of authors.

9. The naeyc article is very definitely Reggio Emilia approach - excellent but not forgetting that schools following this style of pedagogy also have an 'atelier' in residence .. arts/aesthetics cooridnator. I would dearly love to follow this method too, but don't have anywhere near the resources - natural lighting in my classroom is poor, low level pin boards almost non-existent, and as for neutral backgrounds - my main pinboard is mustard (and it's that fluffy stuff). I have permanent fixed cabinets that take up all of the display opps along one wall and they are all a grey-blue. My greatest ally is self adhesive velcro to assist in creating the classroom I need now and want to change in the future. As with all things, creating a worthwhile display is a compromise between resources and costs.
    I used to LOVE displaying children's work in the UK; never got into the muliti-mounts approach as that detracted from the inherent beauty of the children's work.

A display that describes the process of how/what was done is attractive to me. A product with obvious adult intervention and wavy borders leaves me cold. An area for the childern to set up their own displays is perfect. But how much room do we have for all of this to happen?
    And then of course there's the sight words ... word wall ... numbers... letters and sounds ..... etc etc. Too many demands, too little space. And that's how we end up with all the visual clutter.

10. you come up with good points, when i was teaching i used learning walls which the children loved as it was their work relevant to their learning at the time, they would refer back to it when working independently as well. although looked messy was a display which was relevant! not to everyones taste thou due to looking messy! ive had schools where things have had to be double backed and everything again who for!?