1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Classroom/desk layout resources, suggestions, critique

Discussion in 'Primary' started by simon43, Dec 18, 2015.

1. simon43

simon43 New commenter

Are there any resources which would help me to understand how to plan the best layout of my students' desks and chairs, and especially the specific student locations in the class, taking into account students' individual needs, (such as bad eyesight, chatting with friends when I'm teaching, working in pairs, working in groups etc)?

My class sizes are quite small, typically no more than 20 students (age 7-8 years), fairly balanced in numbers between boys and girls, with (of course), a range of abilities. It is a very happy class of students, no major issues at all.

I should mention that this is in an overseas school (south-east Asia), and the children understand sufficient English to follow the KS II curriculum in all core subjects.

The basic desk layout is 4 rows of 5 desks each. although I do move desks for group work.

For the basic layout, I sit one girl with bad eyesight in the front row. I also sit a boy with ADHD in the front row so that I can quickly and gently steer him back to his desk when he goes 'walkabout'.

The girls in the class all pay attention well, but there are a few boys who prefer to chat with their friends. So I 'surround' them with the girls' desks and this seems to work quite well to reduce the chit-chat.

I'd appreciate some critique of my layout and suggestions for desk/student layouts that work well for group work, pair work, maintaining the attention of the class etc.

2. languageisheartosay

languageisheartosay Occasional commenter

I'm sure there are resources out there. But things I could suggest you bear in mind include: There may be some seats where the acoustic is terrible so the children can't hear (even if they are not hearing impaired) especially if you are facing a board at the front or side. Another thing I used to worry about was demonstrating e.g. writing while standing opposite the child - many things are best shown by facing the same way even if you have to stand behind. Left-handers need careful placing if the desks are put close together etc. etc.

3. Msz

Msz Established commenter

I don't think there's a simple answer. Often it's trial and error to find out what works best for a particular class. Some children work better when sat alone and some prefer to work that way.

4. missrturner

missrturner Occasional commenter

5. simon43

simon43 New commenter

@missrturner, thanks for the link to that useful resource!

missrturner likes this.