1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Classroom decoration - CHOCOLATE TOPIC!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Lilybett, Mar 15, 2012.

1. I woke up at 3-something a.m. today with the idea of a mini CHOCOLATE topic to take us up to the Easter hols. I know it's hardly groundbreaking, but it fits with so much of our work and I know the kids will love it.
    I'd like it to be a big surprise for my kids on Monday morning and I'd love the classroom to be FESTOONED! I know I should have planned this well in advance so I could have written to Cadbury's etc. but too late now. [​IMG]
    Any ideas for DIY, easy-peasy classroom decorations? I'd love the kids to be really excited when they come in on Monday. I've got a few but would love your brill suggestions. Thank you! x

2. clear_air

clear_air New commenter

I got my class to paint super-big paintings of chocolate bars, mounted them and put them up high round the room. Very effective, and the children (Y5) were pleased with how professional they looked (esp from a distance!!)

3. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

Coloured foil - empty boxes.
    Wrap the boxes with the foil to look like giant quality street chocolates and place around the room - pinned to the walls - suspended from the ceiling etc.
    Or
    Suspend netting from the ceiling add some rainforest creatures and leaves of your own to start. Have a cd playing of rainforest sounds when the children walk in and let them make more leaves and creatures to pin to the netting. If you don't want to spend too long on the activity you could have some templates ready for the children to draw around or shapes for them to colour.
    Or
    Organise an egg hunt.

4. chocolateworshipper

chocolateworshipper Occasional commenter

did someone say "chocolate" ?

5. marlin

[​IMG]

6. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Eat lots and lots and lots of chocolate and make the wrappers into a giant collage. Hang some from the ceiling as well.

You could of course just take the choccie out of the wrappers and put in a plastic tub in your fridge if you really can't eat it all.

7. chocolateworshipper

Are there people like that then? Really?

8. I'm sorry but I am very proud of the huge chocolate bar poster I lovingly hand-crafted after school out of brown and purple sugar paper, tin foil and a paaaainstakingly drawn and coloured-in 'We love chocolate' in the font of a dairy milk bar. Maths APPs? What Maths APPs?
    Absolutely love the idea of making chocolates to hang round the place. Have got colleagues bringing me in little boxes tomorrow to wrap in coloured tissue. Also found good use for the tons of brown sugar paper nobody wants: chocolate-coloured paperchains!
    Mega excited to see my kids' reactions! Even going to get some vegan choccie for my lactose-intolerant child. Because there MUST be tastings. There just must!
    Thanks everybody! xx

9. chocolateworshipper

Forget Ofsted and APP - you are a fabulous teacher.

10. Have been feeling very low lately and this project has really spurred me on, and a stranger's suggestion I might be a decent teacher one day means more than you will eeeeeeever know right now! Thank youxxxxx

11. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Apparently so...never met one myself, but I think I've read about them somewhere.
    Sod the 'one day' you are great now! I always feel utterly old and boring when I read your posts about all the great things your class do.

12. xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

13. Wow! I hardly ever reply to any threads but it has been refreshing to
    read reply's to OP thread that haven't been negative! Usually someone
    moans about spelling, the need to be more organised etc
    I haven't got any ideas yet though, sorry!

14. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

LOL delilah...choccie brings out the best in everyone!!

I might try to rush through the last of the Titanic next week and do a choccie week just before easter now...

15. I was braced for somebody to tell me I should have been more organised, too! Aren't they loverly? x

16. clear_air

clear_air New commenter

Hmmmm. Now I'm wondering how I can morph my science week (living things) into a chocolate week...bit of a stretch, maybe??

17. Oh, Titanic sounds good! Belfast is doing all kinds at the moment because of the regeneration of the 'Titanic Quarter' - it really is cool! Last time I was there I went on a boat tour haha it was very interesting and weird and sad! I absolutely loved the tagline: "SHE WAS ALL RIGHT WHEN SHE LEFT HERE"! [​IMG] Maybe they could help you with some cool resources? xxx http://www.titanicbelfast.com/Home.aspx

18. Certainly are lovely! I wont be too afraid not to post on here! And i'm not a newbie been reading thread for years!

19. marlin

Life cycle of a cacao bean!

20. Am on such a high. Texted my HT to suggest an extra-curricular club I want to start and got a really excited, enthusiastic reply! Suddenly excited to go to work tomorrow. Ahh I love TES. I'd still be wallowing in NQT WOES were it not for you people xx