1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

classroom control

Discussion in 'Behaviour' started by gail-amanda, Mar 7, 2012.

1. hi everyone,

I'm a 2nd year BA (QTS) student at Liverpool hope and have just started my very first teaching practice. At the moment i am not enjoying the experience at all. I am having real difficulty in trying to keep control of my year 5 class. They do not listen to a word i say and are noisy and often out of their seats. I was wondering if anyone could give me any advice regarding this matter? any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance :)

2. bigkid

bigkid New commenter

What have you tried?
    When they get out of their seats what do you do?
    when they don't listen to you what do you do about it?
    I don't want to offer advice that you might have already tried.

3. i havent used the sanctions system yet....iv been trying the nice approach! however, i feel im going to have to be tougher on them now....the sanction used at the school is name on board, lose 5 mins of break time....do you think this is the most effective?

4. bigkid

bigkid New commenter

Once in a while after you have asked for quiet say very quietly that you will give a reward (house points, choosing time or something) to whoever does something (sit down and be ready to listen perhaps). Do it at a time when most of the pupils aren't quietening down and so won't be listening. Then make a really big deal of the fact that you are giving rewards to those who listened and did what they were asked.
    The reverse also works. say quietly that the last 5 people to do as they have been asked will lose 5 minutes of break time.
    The trick is to speak quietly so they only follow instructions and get the reward or avoid the sanction if they have done as requested.

5. "i havent used the sanctions system yet....iv been trying the nice approach!" - in my experience, that's like trying only one blade of the scissors! You need both.

6. Hiya, Im in my second year of teaching and had a difficult class last year. I clap 3 times and they repeat and I will be silent until they are silent, feels like a lifetime. If they are still not listening then in slow motion i write time wasted on the board in a really squeeky pen and that normally gets a chorus of "time wassteddd, shiut up ste down ssshhhhh" If anyone talks while I am I stop and give them the glare. And I alway reward the 'naughty ones' as soon as they do the right thing. Ooo and says thank you.
    "James, we are waiting for you thankyou"
    "Thankyou for doing what you have been asked the first time, team point"
    As soon as they stop talking "ooo, James is ready, well done"
    But there are sanctions though:
    clap clap clap *silent pause* " James I'm waiting, James I'm still waiting, oooo dear, does your name need to go onto myboard or are you ready?"

Hope this helps

7. thanks everyone....im going to implement some of these ideas :) wish me luck