1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Classroom Cleanliness

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by semiemma, Feb 11, 2013.

1. I was wondering what cleaning everyone did in their classrooms. The reason I am asking is because the cleaner we have in our class only hoover one area of our carpet.

We had a different cleaner last week and noticed a massive difference in what she did. She hoovered the entire carpet, cleaned the tables, cleaned the bin and the packed lunch crates, mopped the creative area and pulled out units to clean behind them.

I am finding that I am having to buy cleaning materials with my own money.

2. I was wondering what cleaning everyone did in their classrooms. The reason I am asking is because the cleaner we have in our class only hoover one area of our carpet.

We had a different cleaner last week and noticed a massive difference in what she did. She hoovered the entire carpet, cleaned the tables, cleaned the bin and the packed lunch crates, mopped the creative area and pulled out units to clean behind them.

I am finding that I am having to buy cleaning materials with my own money.

3. I've gained a reputation for having OCD (though I suspect flushing the chain is considered OCD to some people)... 90% of the classrooms I go into at any point during the day are trashed - bottles, dismantled pens, paper, sweet wrappers etc. I routinely clear this up before the kids come in to avoid the possibility that of any of these things might get chucked about (sad, but true!). I also feel it sends the wrong message out to the kids if the room's minty...

Like you, I buy cleaning materials (wipes and anti bac spray) for the classroom where I spend most of my time.

The cleaners are OK, but they are rigid about what they will / won't clean.

4. snugglepot

snugglepot Occasional commenter

They wipe the tables and vacuum.They moan at Christmas...re glitter! They don't seem to wipe the sinks so the teachersand TAs do that.

5. The children do clean their own mess and there is only so much 4 and 5 year old children can clean.
    I throughly clean my class but there is only so much that I can clean as I also have other duties to carry out. The children eat their lunch in the classes so surely they should be cleaned throughly. I'm sure you would not go to a resaurant and eat in there if it was dirty.

6. Belle60_3

Belle60_3 New commenter

It's all very well saying children should clean up their own mess, but like someone said, there is a limit to what a five year old can do, and it's all well and good if they have the necessary equipment to do the job and someone doesn't have to go out and spend their own meager wages on it. I think the school should look into what exactly the cleaners should be doing, what is not on their job description and act accordingly. A bit of top cleaning like hoovering and wiping will only suffice for so long until a deep clean is required. A bin that is emptied everyday will also need cleaning properly once a week before mould begins to grow (if sandwich and lunch waste is going in there) - whose responsibility is that? A sink that is wiped once a day will eventually become stained and ingrained with dirt. If children are eating their lunches at their desks they will need to be thoroughly disinfected regularly - preferably just before they eat. Floors that are mopped will need a steam clean once in a while to remove ground in dirt. A lick and a promise is not good enough so maybe the school should look at engaging contract cleaners who clean properly.

7. Seriously? 4 and 5 year olds cannot clear up? We certainly did when I was that age and were not allowed out until we had done so!

8. seza-lou

seza-lou New commenter

we have had a huge problem with the level of cleaning the goes on in the classroom at my school, floors not being cleaned, tables dirty even though they said they were going to clean then properly not just the quick wipe we manage in the afternoon. I also have 4 - 5 year olds and although they love to help clean tables and tidy up their is only so much they can do

It has gotten to the point where myself and my TA are buying cleaning products for the classroom to keep it clean, we have been told we have to keep the classrooms clean and free of food (Children eat in the classroom) because we have a mice problem (Yes mice!) yet they have not supplied us with brooms and our multiple requests for one have been ignored.

I am getting so frustrated with the lack of cleaning that is going on the head cleaning person came into my classroom this morning and even he was a little bit shocked by how appalling my classroom was and even took pictures of the floor that was supposedly cleaned the evening before, this is a problem through the whole school and we are all getting very sick of it.

9. There is nearly 500 pupils in the school I work in and there is 3 cleaners for the whole of the school !!!!
    I just find it so frustrating. How can we promote to the chidren the need for health and hygiene when the classroom is not being cleaned to a suitable standard.
    The problem we have is that there is no one to complain to about the state of the room. Our caretaker is fantastic and takes on some of the cleaning duties. He cleans the hall every morning and cleans the entire childrens toilets throughout the school in the afternoon.
    I personally feel that its wrong that I am having to buy basic cleaning equipment like cloths, ant bac spray, washing up liquid, hand wash and even tissues for the children to use. And I am unable to claim this back from the school as it would have to come out of the classroom budget.

10. The Reception class I covered yesterday were perfectly capable of picking up their mess and putting toys, etc away. learning to tidy up early is surely a life skill.

11. The children in my class also do this. We are talking about cleaning as in moping the floors and hoovering

12. As a TA who used to do cleaning as well in our primary school I sympathise with the original poster. I would speak to whoever is in charge of cleaning the school and tell them your concerns. If things do not improve, speak to the head teacher. If cleanliness levels are not appropriate it could count against the school in an Ofsted inspection. As a previous poster said, be careful what products you use, there may be certain chemicals which can trigger allergies especially in children.

13. Unless I want snot and other things on me, I need to wipe down the desks at least once a day. I work in year 1 so it's par for the course. Not nice, but oh so very true.

14. The cleaners at my school say they don't have enough time to clean thoroughly.TAs always tidy up classrooms and wipe tables but as a previous poster has said we provide our own antibac sprays. The headteacher has now asked TAs to clean the pupil's toilets at breaktimes - mops, buckets and gloves will be provided. This came about because we were all complaining about the awful smells exuding from the toilets, so be careful when you moan - you may just get lumbered with the job yourselves!

15. Belle60_3

Belle60_3 New commenter

That is well out of order. I know we have an extensive job description but cleaning the bogs ain't on it. Next thing you know the bloody cleaners will be teaching the kids!