1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Classroom changed without consent.

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by rebeccaQPR, Oct 25, 2017.

1. rebeccaQPR

rebeccaQPR New commenter

I've just received word that the headteacher has moved my classroom around during half term and gone through all my cupboards and filing.

Is this normal practice?

2. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

'Normal', no...'Unheard of'...I doubt it!

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  3. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Not sure it's normal but hang on a moment!

You "received word"? From whom? Who has been sheet-stirring?

Maybe something has gone missing. Maybe there are mice. Maybe it just didn't happen. Maybe there was a water leak. Don't panic, Mr Mainwaring!

4. rebeccaQPR

rebeccaQPR New commenter

No sheet stiring it was from the horses mouth.

5. Tinycat1234

Tinycat1234 Established commenter

So the Head contacted you in half term to tell you she’s moved your classroom around and has been through your filing system?

6. rebeccaQPR

rebeccaQPR New commenter

Yep

7. smurphy6

smurphy6 Occasional commenter

What reason did she give? In 20+ years of teaching I've never known a HT do this. Just your room or others as well. More context needed please.

thekillers and Tinycat1234 like this.
  8. rebeccaQPR

rebeccaQPR New commenter

No reason given. She was putting one table back at the back of my room and it then turned into an email about how my cupboards and filing is being used. My main question was whether it was normal for a head to go in and more tables to how they want and also go through cupboards that aren't used by the children and only by myself.

9. smurphy6

smurphy6 Occasional commenter

If my HT did this I would be annoyed. At the very least if she has a query she should have waited to see you face to face. It does nothing for employer/employee relations.

It's your workspace, set out in a way that works for you not her. Other staff have their rooms set up in a way I wouldn't use e.g. Horseshoe shape tables, if it works for them that's fine but I prefer another set up.

Going in cupboards is not a good sign either. Is she controlling and a micromanager? That's the thought that comes to my mind.

Plus the email coming in the holidays. That is very bad form in my opinion.

alexanderosman, thekillers and CWadd like this.
  10. CWadd

CWadd Established commenter

She clearly must have too much time on her hands if she goes in during half term and faffs with someone else's space.

11. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Putting a table back in your classroom sounds like doing you a favour.
    Moving furniture to make it fit easily also sounds like a good thing.
    If your cupboards and filing were noticeably in need of attention, they could well have thought they were helping you out by having a sort.

Not sure I'd be pleased about it, but I probably wouldn't freak out either.
    Nip in tomorrow and see what's what and then decide what to do.

And stop reading work emails in the holidays!

nomad, digoryvenn, wanet and 2 others like this.
  12. Pomza

Pomza Lead commenter

Obviously not normal, but if your room/cupboard/whatever was a mess, I can understand her having a bit of a tidy...

(But then, it has been remarked upon that I'm a bit obsessive about tidiness.)

Look on the bright side, it might look better...

13. neddyfonk

neddyfonk Established commenter

Think yourself lucky that you are not a victim of the 5s regime which was applied to an industry I worked at. Managers opened personal lockers and turfed out anything not related to work. My cupboards were emptied into a skip by workers under orders from a different department. Anything not used in the last 3 months was quarantined, then binned, including essential spares that had a two week lead time. Everything left was cleaned, catalogued, labelled and given a designated home. Whoa betide anyone not putting things back where they belonged. Desk drawers were inspected for conformity after we went home.

thekillers, asdangel and emerald52 like this.
  14. Pomza

Pomza Lead commenter

Sounds like my kind of place...!

15. caterpillartobutterfly

Would they come and sort out various cupboards and drawers in my house do you think? :)

I KNEW working for/with you wouldn't be as perfect as it often seems! :p

digoryvenn, emerald52 and Pomz like this.
  16. Pomza

Pomza Lead commenter

Lol. Nothing wrong with a good tidy-up...!

17. Pomza

Pomza Lead commenter

I wonder if this HT would come round and have a look at my garage.

To be honest, I'm scared to go out there...

18. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

I'm conflicted here!

galerider123 likes this.
  19. caterpillartobutterfly

I thought that when I typed it, but...

The OP has read this email, so now needs to deal with the stress it has caused. Easiest way is to nip in and see what's what and move things back again if they want. Job done.
    THEN
    The OP needs to stop reading emails in the holidays to prevent possible further worry and stress.

See!?!;)

576 likes this.
  20. Tinycat1234

Tinycat1234 Established commenter

So she’s not necessarily criticising you? Seems odd and certainly not usual but then I don’t know how your class room and filing system were... I’ve never heard of anyone going through somebody else’s cupboards, Head or not.