1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Classroom Behaviour

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by Tandy, Aug 9, 2011.

1. Tandy

Tandy New commenter

So many of the recent threads have had buried within them a common theme of teaching and learning being compromised because of the behaviour of children. In one of those threads, I said that I would make available the chapter in my new book that deals with behaviour (basically I argue that Britain is not broken, people are good, but there are outliers). I don't want to print the whole chapter (read: have been asked not to!), but I have taken the part of the chapter where I talk about detentions and sanctions and posted it as a new blog on my website, so I thought I'd share it here
    http://www.emaths.co.uk/index.php/the-emaths-blog/item/detentions-are-pointless
    Maybe in the next couple of days I'll post the other part (Apparently it is potentially libelous at the moment!! hahaha).

2. Tandy

Tandy New commenter

So many of the recent threads have had buried within them a common theme of teaching and learning being compromised because of the behaviour of children. In one of those threads, I said that I would make available the chapter in my new book that deals with behaviour (basically I argue that Britain is not broken, people are good, but there are outliers). I don't want to print the whole chapter (read: have been asked not to!), but I have taken the part of the chapter where I talk about detentions and sanctions and posted it as a new blog on my website, so I thought I'd share it here
    http://www.emaths.co.uk/index.php/the-emaths-blog/item/detentions-are-pointless
    Maybe in the next couple of days I'll post the other part (Apparently it is potentially libelous at the moment!! hahaha).

3. David Getling

David Getling Senior commenter

Mark, I wondered why you started the thread here, instead of the behaviour forum. Then I read your blog about maths being used as a punishment.

This probably reflects the attitude of the majority of school senior management to maths. They regard it as nothing more than a necessary evil, and cannot conceive of it being interesting and rewarding. I also think this carries through to the way they recruit their maths teachers. Again, there's no concept that some might be vastly better and more inspiring than others: in the same way that we have great artists and musicians - at the best it's a matter of simply counting the number of years experience.

4. I have commented under the blog entry but wanted to thank you for this - it is a perfect indictment of poor student behaviour and its causes. I wish headteachers would read this too to ensure that their systems support action like this which get to the root of the problem and deal with it head-on.

5. Tandy

Tandy New commenter

Thanks for your comments, atics... I think that many Headteachers do feel this way too, but they are often boxed in by thinking that they have to be PC all the time. But actually it is this overly PC attitude that is a large part of the problem, not the solution.

6. Tandy

Tandy New commenter

7. Reports are that the first person to go before the courts after the recent troubles is a 31 year old teacher. Just when it seemed there may be some sympathy for teachers having to deal with these unruly youths, this appears.

8. I just heard something similar on the radio. But it mentioned 'someone who worked in a school' and there are other jobs this could include. But not many.

Great stuff Tandy. I'd vote for the eMaths Party!

9. Tandy

Tandy New commenter

Apparently a Learning Mentor. Very sad.
    That made me laugh! It's a party everyday here at Emaths [​IMG]

10. It's riot here every day at Valed Towers!
    And I'll definitely be grumpy if it doesn't stop raining at Edgbaston! [​IMG]