1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Classroom assistant needs advice please

Discussion in 'Independent' started by Jankins, Apr 11, 2012.

1. I am going to cover for a classroom assistant in a primary school after the half term and would welcome any advice on how to impress the teacher. I believe the previous person to cover was not suitable because they were 'lax'. It is with year 5's and I have about a years experience with year 1's only, so dont know what to expect.Any advice would be helpful as I would like to make a good impression. thanks

2. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

Is your question really about the independent sector? The term "primary school" normally refers to the state sector. Independent schools for that age range are normal called prep schools and pre-prep schools.

3. I would suggest you have a meeting with the teacher before you start working with her / him. Ask her what is needed in the classroom & what role(s) she would like you to fulfil.
    You could ask if there are any specific rules she has in the classroom - so you know to implement them too. You could also ask if there are specific pupils you need to know about & what their needs are. Maybe get a seating plan off her so you can address the pupils by their names from day 1.
    You could also ask other classroom assistants in the school, about their work and the teacher you are to be with.

4. Have a communication book/ job list that you can refer to and use to ease the time restraints you have. I have had super classroom assistants who are self starters and having a job list helps people to feel able to get to that point.
    Arrange to have a regular meeting time if time allows- certainly for the first few months.
    Get copies of any staff and planning meeting notes.