1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Classics PGCE Application Advice

Discussion in 'Classics' started by silverdale101, Jul 27, 2011.

1. Hi everyone, I am really keen to become a Classics teacher and desperately want to gain a place on the PGCE at King's or Cambridge. I feel confident in my subject knowledge having focused on Latin and Greek in my Classics MA. However, I am conscious that I need more experience. I have been looking at a few different opportunities: teaching English as a foreign language (CELTA); cover supervisor or teaching assistant work through an agency; general volunteering with children. Can anyone offer any advice? Thank you!

2. Fab that you're seeking to become a Classics teacher! The competition's pretty fierce these days, as there are so few places. It's definitely a good idea if you have the means to get some experience in the classroom to check that teaching is definitely for you. Some classroom experience does look good on a CV. I'd suggest a year as a cover supervisor or as a TA in a state school would be more useful than TEFL. You'll see much more accurately what working in a classroom is like.
    Initially, you should definitely seek out your nearest Classics-offering school and ask if they can offer you a few days of observation. Is it possible to go back to your own school? When you're there, be proactive and, if possible, get involved in the lessons you're in. Take loads of notes. All this will give you lots to talk about if you get an interview for King's or Cambridge.
    A separate point to bear in mind in terms of applying to one or t'other is that Cambridge's second placement schools are all fairly spread out. You'll need to be quite flexible. King's, on the other hand, are all within striking distance of London.
    Good luck!