1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Classics MA - worth it? Will there be jobs?

Discussion in 'Classics' started by anon1165, Jul 15, 2011.

1. What with all the boost Boris is giving to Latin, I'm wondering if it would make sense to do a Classics MA as a means to prove I know Greek and Latin? (I am already a teacher, QTS and the works, on M6). But once Labour is back :( will there still be jobs? Do you think this is a long-term upward trend? Any input from Classics teachers most appreciated. Thanks.

2. Hi and thanks to both of you for the replies. I'm not interested in doing a masters just so I can be a student for a year because my savings will last more if I don't do a master. So, basically, I'm only interested in a masters if it results in better job prospects. Sura, I enjoy studying for itself, too, but I don't have that much savings...
    In London there is a shortage of everything and you can find a job in any field. But I'm in the north east and here there's been no shortage of Latin teachers given that most kids in the sink schools stop learning any language by Y10...

3. lemoni122

lemoni122 New commenter

Brill, to love where you live so much. Keep an eye out for opps in your area then. I reckon with your first qualification and the ability to teach classical languages,certainly from CE up to GCSE, you could well find something fulfilling, as long as working in a private school doesn't stick in your craw. bonam fortunam!

4. jarndyce

jarndyce Occasional commenter

If a Classics MA is impossible, then I have been advised that an Open University degree in Classics would give you an edge! (as a teacher in a similar situation) It can be done part time, without having to take the year out.

5. I know but as long as possible i try to stay clear from the OU, because the degree you get there is not a degree but an "OU degree". For example if you get a BA, you can only use the letters BA(OU) and not just BA (it is fraud if you leave the OU off). While I know that OU courses can be very demanding, I'd like not to have this "distinction".

6. jarndyce

jarndyce Occasional commenter

Really?! Had no idea - yes, I would certainly feel the same!

7. andromache

andromache New commenter

hi lemoni, and spool... currently around 70 Classics teachers retiring per annum in the uk, fewer than 30 new ones entering the profession. That situation seems likely to worsen over the next few years.

8. Well if anyone knows of a job for me I would be delighted to hear of it! My school has just cut back my hours so I am on the look-out, especially for a head of Classics post, but would consider teacher of Classics too. Thanks!

9. I know but the question is whether there will be new jobs created or the hours will be cut back, just as another poster here said.
    For a while it seemed that the EBacc coupled with Boris Johnson :) might help (I would actually much support Latin to be compulsory for at least a year, say, in Y7), but now I'm not sure...
    As we all know, the idea was that kids from sink schools can not even apply to Russell Group unis because they were not even offered the kind of subjects that would get them there. But many kids in sink schools (at least in the north, where I am) will never even get GCSEs, let alone A-levels, not even in media studies and the like, so I can't imagine sink community comps suddenly deciding to offer Classics in huge numbers to habitual truants and kids known to every agency from YOT to B4 by the age of 12...

10. Yet. But I have been PMed by someone who taught themselves O-level Latin in the summer holidays, so if I wanted to do it, during the course of 12 months it would be a piece of cake. Languages are easy to learn anyway. :)

11. Now go back and read the second from last sentence in post 6 slowly and carefully.

12. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

No, sunshine. You go back and read the first word in post 15! And try not to be so rude.

Melgund likes this.
  13. "Since" or "yet"? [​IMG]

14. I've only just found this discussion and as someone who works for the OU I am amazed at these claims! Of course an OU degree is 'a degree'!

ani36 likes this.
  15. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

it's been a dead one since 2011, so I imagine that the poster who thought they could do 'O-level' Latin in a summer (which doesn't exist anymore, as it's GCSE Latin) probably has their PhD now (I do have a PhD and it took a wee bit longer), and no intelligent person would be so rude about an OU degree...!

IceCreamVanMan likes this.
  16. Vladimir

Vladimir Senior commenter

17. Vladimir

Vladimir Senior commenter