1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Classics/Latin in International Schools

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by Adrift43, Oct 9, 2018.

1. ejclibrarian

ejclibrarian Established commenter Community helper

There is no harm in asking the start date. Say that you'd like to work towards tying up things in the UK and it would be useful to know when you will need to be in China. That's perfectly reasonable.

2. 576

576 Established commenter

Latin is taught in one of the Kenyan schools (can't recall which right now) try an internet search.

3. jpgreenwood

jpgreenwood Occasional commenter

For any school in the northern hemisphere that is appointing teachers, if a start date isn't specified (or is given as just "2019", it's the next academic year (August/September), because that's the norm. If you were being interviewed under the assumption that you were ready for a January start, that would have been said right at the start of the interview process, as it's relatively unusual.

4. annadagny

annadagny New commenter

Dear jpgreenwood. Would you be so kind and let me know what schools you mean? Im based in Sibgapore and I am aware of TTS, but nothing beyond that. Thank you! By the way Im in a similar position to the person who started the thread, will be looking at applying for Latin jobs in autumn 2019 to hopefully start in 2020. Thanks a lot!

5. jpgreenwood

jpgreenwood Occasional commenter

I'll start a conversation with you.

6. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

Yup, I think that it is fair to say that many international schools are a law unto themselves and so it is a bit hard to say when things start. Or finish!