1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Classical Civilisation Controlled Assessment

Discussion in 'Classics' started by jonty100, Feb 4, 2011.

1. Hi, has anyone already marked their controlled assessment for Class Civ GCSE. My class has just finished theirs and I'm just starting to look through them. We've got a couple of girls who have gone over the word count. I was told at Inset that 10% either way was acceptable so 2200 is unofficial maximum. However these two are at 2400 and 2700 words.
    How many marks would you deduct for these?

Thanks

2. Hi, has anyone already marked their controlled assessment for Class Civ GCSE. My class has just finished theirs and I'm just starting to look through them. We've got a couple of girls who have gone over the word count. I was told at Inset that 10% either way was acceptable so 2200 is unofficial maximum. However these two are at 2400 and 2700 words.
    How many marks would you deduct for these?

Thanks

3. I don't think you deduct marks. I think you stop giving credit for anything over the word limit. So, if they have gained a B, for example on the 2200 absolute max. then, that is the mark they get. if they go on to do something that raises their grade to an A, it doesn't count. If they go on to say something amazingly silly that would lower the grade, it doesn't count.

4. I was very concerned about this too, especially when I saw just how much some of my brightest kids were producing so I called OCR and asked about this very issue. I was told that they weren't particularly fussed about the word limit (odd really, since they make such a point about it in the guidance) and wouldn't penalise any work which was over the 2000 word limit. Those were her exact words and I asked her the same question at least three times in the course of the conversation. I did, however, decide not to take too much of a chance on this and stuck to the 2200 upper limit with my students; and I'd advise anyone else to do the same. I just wish they'd let them chose their own titles - I thought that this year's were a bit dull, to be honest...

5. Thanks for these. I spoke to OCR and their advice was that the students should be moved down to the bottom of the band or perhaps the next band depending on how much over they had gone, having looked at which band they met using the other criteria.
    The more I see of Controlled Assessment, the more I think it's a farce. We have exactly the same problems as we did with coursework in that noone will be monitoring the teachers to see just how much help they're giving the students while they write. It seems to be different guidelines for every subject so my students expected that they would be able to ask questions during the write-up or come and speak to me in between lessons and get advice. I said that once they'd started writing, they were on their own. I very much doubt that this is the case in every school.