1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Classic lit with the theme of 'being different'?

Discussion in 'English' started by roamingteacher, Oct 14, 2015.

1. roamingteacher

roamingteacher Established commenter Forum guide

I'm looking for something classic for my KS3 readers - at their request. I had thought 'Frankenstein' but one of the requesters has already read it. Another suggestion from a colleague was 'To Kill a Mockingbird' but there is rape in it, so that's out.
    The students are highly able, mature and highly motivated.
    Any other suggestions?

2. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

3. never_expect_anything

never_expect_anything Occasional commenter

'Being different' is a very broad theme..!
    Call of the Wild/White Fang? David Copperfield?
    Does it have to be 'English', or would translated lit be any good? The Count of Monte Cristo? Phantom of the Opera? Hunchback of Notre Dame? Beauty and the Beast? (Non-disneyfied! - They might be surprised to learn that these are classic novels.) (Sorry, these are all French!)
    Does it have to be 'classic'? The Giver? Bridge to Terrabithia? The Outsiders? Noughts & Crosses? The Face on the Milk Carton? I am David? Does it have to be fiction? Story of My Life (Helen Keller)? Anne Frank's diary (though I guess many have read that too...)?

4. roamingteacher

It is indeed a broad theme; I suppose I should've said the aim was to promote empathy, as they will form their own initiatives around a cause of their choosing.
    Translated lit is just fine.
    Thanks for the suggestions - I hadn't thought of most but there are some good titles in there. Appreciate your time.

5. MrMedia

MrMedia Star commenter

I recall teaching The Portrait of Dorian Gray. With the Wilde/Fry crossover, image control with public/private identity themes and Dorian's callous 'trolling' of others and lack of empathy it resonates well with modern students. It has lots of symbolism and description in for traditional teaching, but my top set Year 9s did very well with it.
    I'm fairly sure you could teach it to a good KS3 class and it be enjoyed enormously.

6. bob79

bob79 Occasional commenter

Anne Frank's Diary? The Book Thief for an alternative 'reading' of WW2?

7. roamingteacher

8. thethiefoftime

thethiefoftime Occasional commenter

Precious Bane by Mary Webb?

9. roamingteacher

Thanks. That one looks particularly good.