1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Classic Books that fit KS3? Coronavirus Dilemma!

Discussion in 'English' started by DanG1, Mar 8, 2020.

1. DanG1

DanG1 New commenter

Hi TES people,

I'm based at a British school in China and, as you may know, we are currently teaching completely via distance learning due to the coronavirus outbreak.

I need some advice on any 'classics' (that is: older novels) that have worked/may work well with KS3 at different levels. Basically, I'm limited to using texts available on Project Gutenberg as this is the only way I can think of making sure that all the students can access a copy.

A bit more info:
    - I teach Years 7, 8 & 9, with low to high sets
    - this would be to replace a drama component that is not well suited to distance learning

Thanks in advance people!

2. roamingteacher

roamingteacher Established commenter Forum guide

A surprisingly popular choice I've used with students is the Wizard of Oz - there's a guided online version here. This one is free but if you want other 'older' titles, you can look through her store and choose a paid title. I've used it with very mixed-ability classes including EAL.

With lots of clips available on Youtube, you could still have them do some dramatic analysis. Other ideas might be to have them do dramatic recordings e.g. divide a section between all students and have them record themselves with sound effects etc. They could either email them to you or you could gather them on their return to stitch them into one continuous text.

There are also tons of myths and legends on Project Gutenberg so that's another option. Endless materials available if you hunt around the web.

Hope that helps.

3. roamingteacher

roamingteacher Established commenter Forum guide

Ah...just re-read that you're in China. In that case, I'd go with multicultural mythology and have them find myths from their own cultures to share, rewrite, rewrite, reform into a different medium (e.g. readers theatre) etc. Could be a really fun, creative unit.