1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Classes not covered full-time by teachers in Year 2

Discussion in 'Primary' started by cerifield, Jan 10, 2012.

1. Hi - I am looking for some advice.
    My daughter's is not being taught full-time by a teacher. Also she is part of the foundation phase in Wales which recommends the ratios should be 1 to 13 and she is in a class of 24 children where often the teacher is taking the class alone without support. In addition to this one of the children needs some one-to-one support and is not getting it.
    Last week alone she was taught by a qualified teacher for two days and then covered by teaching assistants for the other two days. In total last week she was taught by six different people and didn't even know the name of the lady covering her one of the days. On only two afternoons were the ratios correct (and one of these she was covered by two teaching assistants).
    Her school is really going downhill and as most of the teachers are great (as are the teaching assistants) I really think that it is purely because of the lack of teaching hours. I have been to see the headmaster as I really don't want to move her and he assured me this wouldn't continue to happen but this is not the case. There are a great many other parents concerned too. Please note I have no issue with the teaching assistants as they are great, it is just they are not qualified to teach her and nor should they have to.
    I was just wondering what any primary/teaching assistants thought of this situation. Is this right? Do you have any ideas where I stand on this issue and do I have to put up with it? Any help/comments would be gratefully received.

2. Hi - I am looking for some advice.
    My daughter's is not being taught full-time by a teacher. Also she is part of the foundation phase in Wales which recommends the ratios should be 1 to 13 and she is in a class of 24 children where often the teacher is taking the class alone without support. In addition to this one of the children needs some one-to-one support and is not getting it.
    Last week alone she was taught by a qualified teacher for two days and then covered by teaching assistants for the other two days. In total last week she was taught by six different people and didn't even know the name of the lady covering her one of the days. On only two afternoons were the ratios correct (and one of these she was covered by two teaching assistants).
    Her school is really going downhill and as most of the teachers are great (as are the teaching assistants) I really think that it is purely because of the lack of teaching hours. I have been to see the headmaster as I really don't want to move her and he assured me this wouldn't continue to happen but this is not the case. There are a great many other parents concerned too. Please note I have no issue with the teaching assistants as they are great, it is just they are not qualified to teach her and nor should they have to.
    I was just wondering what any primary/teaching assistants thought of this situation. Is this right? Do you have any ideas where I stand on this issue and do I have to put up with it? Any help/comments would be gratefully received.

3. Are they teaching assistants? Or higher level teaching assistants (HLTAs)?

4. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Your situation is not unusual. This situation is becoming increasingly 'normal' in schools whose budgets are being reduced year on year. Take alook at thess threads

Squeeze please, ideas?

Sign the e-petition...!

Why are teaching assistants allowed to act as supply cover?

How many days supply have you managed to get so far this term?
    and there are many more similar threads. Schools want to save money. Government don't want to see the problem and keep going on about teacher shortages and using teachers from abroad to 'fill vacancies'.
    Many experienced qualified teachers like myself, wanting to return to teaching after their family or even the hundreds of unemployed Newly Qualified Teachers are resorting to applying for CS TA etc and in the future I foresee most TA type roles will in fact be filled by qualified teachers.