1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Class Treats - educational suggestions?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by DB9required, Feb 12, 2012.

1. My KS1 class only have 1 more marble to collect in order to have a class treat. Last time they chose a pyjama party with a DVD. I was pulled over the coals by the SLT as they felt that this was an inappropriate activity as it was not based around an educational activity. They have also 'spoken' with another teacher about her class bringing their outdoor toys. When I asked for SLT suggestions as to what an appropriate activity might be I was told to go and use my imagination. Yet, the same member of SLT suggested, during a recent staff meeting, that it would be acceptable to have a DVD afternoon after KS2 SATS in May.

I am under no illusions as to the unfairness of the situation. However I would love it if someone was able to offer ideas of activities for a class treat, particularly ones that my class will believe that they are a treat, so that I can meet the SLT expectation of education at all times (though not in May in KS2!!).

2. My KS1 class only have 1 more marble to collect in order to have a class treat. Last time they chose a pyjama party with a DVD. I was pulled over the coals by the SLT as they felt that this was an inappropriate activity as it was not based around an educational activity. They have also 'spoken' with another teacher about her class bringing their outdoor toys. When I asked for SLT suggestions as to what an appropriate activity might be I was told to go and use my imagination. Yet, the same member of SLT suggested, during a recent staff meeting, that it would be acceptable to have a DVD afternoon after KS2 SATS in May.

I am under no illusions as to the unfairness of the situation. However I would love it if someone was able to offer ideas of activities for a class treat, particularly ones that my class will believe that they are a treat, so that I can meet the SLT expectation of education at all times (though not in May in KS2!!).

3. Blimey!
    How about an afternoon of DT - making activities always go down well with my class. We have made all sorts of Victorian toys (for example) this term.
    Or baking? We make Victorian biscuits as part of our topic. Could you build something food related into your planning?