1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Class Timetable on Whiteboard

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by kiwikaty, Feb 5, 2011.

1. I am beginnning in a new teaching position with 14 adults with ID.
    I am required to have a class timetable on the board, and was hoping to do a bit more research on this online but seem unable to come up with anything -
    In the past a '?Star?' plan has been used. bit it seems there is no real understanding of the origins of this - it certainly looks nothing like a star. There is also talk of the envelope plan idea - but again no real explanation of this and how it works.
    Basically it seems that this day plan takes up most of the whitboard (a smaller whiteboard is avaliable for teaching) and forms the basis of the start of the day with the teacher having already written up the planned programme (I plan to add visuals) - the students then effectively re-write this programme breaking it down a little more from general subjects and activities into detail - e.g. literacy becomes worksheet, reading, diary writing. And then they look at how this will be achieved - e.g. listening, supporting each other etc just as daily reminders.

I can see the ultimate goal but am looking for some ideas to make this a little more meanningful and interesting whilst keeping it simple to understand and work with. these are new students to the programme so starting from scratch shouldn't be a challenge.
    It is obviously more than a visual timetable but I don't want to make it too complicated for them or me.
    Any ideas? What has worked for you?
    Thanks

2. I am beginnning in a new teaching position with 14 adults with ID.
    I am required to have a class timetable on the board, and was hoping to do a bit more research on this online but seem unable to come up with anything -
    In the past a '?Star?' plan has been used. bit it seems there is no real understanding of the origins of this - it certainly looks nothing like a star. There is also talk of the envelope plan idea - but again no real explanation of this and how it works.
    Basically it seems that this day plan takes up most of the whitboard (a smaller whiteboard is avaliable for teaching) and forms the basis of the start of the day with the teacher having already written up the planned programme (I plan to add visuals) - the students then effectively re-write this programme breaking it down a little more from general subjects and activities into detail - e.g. literacy becomes worksheet, reading, diary writing. And then they look at how this will be achieved - e.g. listening, supporting each other etc just as daily reminders.

I can see the ultimate goal but am looking for some ideas to make this a little more meanningful and interesting whilst keeping it simple to understand and work with. these are new students to the programme so starting from scratch shouldn't be a challenge.
    It is obviously more than a visual timetable but I don't want to make it too complicated for them or me.
    Any ideas? What has worked for you?
    Thanks

3. Looks like you'll be lucky to get any work done, as the timetable will take up most of the day!