1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Class that don't listen on the carpet...

Discussion in 'Primary' started by lillipad, Jan 11, 2012.

1. lillipad

lillipad New commenter

Any suggestions? Various children in my class don't listen on the carpet then do their work completely wrong, or tell everyone else how to do it wrongly and end up spoiling everyone elses work! This is not just a few children. I repeat myself a few times and say names of children I think aren't listening but it's almost like they think they don't have to. I'm getting sooo fed up with it tbh! And it's not even just that, they won't listen while i'm explaining a method for example, and so suddenly find they can't do it. At which point I almost want to say tough! I know you could do it if you'd listened and would rather give my help to a child who has listened but not fully got it! Any strategies for this? It's just driving me nuts.

2. lillipad

lillipad New commenter

Any suggestions? Various children in my class don't listen on the carpet then do their work completely wrong, or tell everyone else how to do it wrongly and end up spoiling everyone elses work! This is not just a few children. I repeat myself a few times and say names of children I think aren't listening but it's almost like they think they don't have to. I'm getting sooo fed up with it tbh! And it's not even just that, they won't listen while i'm explaining a method for example, and so suddenly find they can't do it. At which point I almost want to say tough! I know you could do it if you'd listened and would rather give my help to a child who has listened but not fully got it! Any strategies for this? It's just driving me nuts.

3. cakeycake

cakeycake New commenter

This happens to me a lot with the same children. Once I have explained the task, I normally as the children who I know weren't listening to explain the task to the others. I would do this with 2 or 3 children if they hadn't been listening. Normally at least 1 will know the basics and I will add the details. I guess the good thing about this strategy is that the children who weren't listening are singled out and therefore listen and the others hear the instructions again which can't be a bad thing.
    Hope that helps!
    K

4. rainbowdrop86

rainbowdrop86 New commenter

I'm sure u have my class Lillipad! So similar in every way! I get those not listening to explain but doesn't help as they still don't listen next time. I keep them in at break to explain it to me then! But still to find the magic answer!

5. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Rather like cakeycake,I often ask a child who I know does listen, to repeat the instructions for what to do or else I go round once they're settled and query them 'Do you know what you're meant to be doing?' If the answer is No, I ask anyone else on the table to remind us all and get the child to repeat.
    I do wonder if one of the problems could be the timing of/ length of the instructions. remember small children have very short concentration spans and if they've been sat on the carpet for a while they might need to be re-orientated before doing instructions. Just an idea, as I've suffered from this in the past when working in KS1 forgetting how small their concentration spans.

6. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I would put a stop to the not listening rather than deal with the effects of not listening.

What do they do instead of listening? If just sitting and daydreaming, ask them questions during the input to get their attention. If whispering to friends a stern 'X stop chatting and listen please or I shall have to move you' generally works. Or, if you have carpet places, then have them sit right at the front by you and wiggle your fingers near them every time you notice their mind begin to wander.

Once the class realise that some are effectively 'allowed' not to listen, the rest will join in and you end up with quite a few not paying you a blind bit of attention.

7. What year group?
    I quietly start a copy me type activity, ie touch different parts of body and children copy, or I whisper their name to get their attention. If you spot them not listening make 'em stand up, keep them in at playtime and make them do it then, enlist parents help and send the work home to be correctly complete, tel them that if they cant be bothered to listen how to do it you can't be bothered to mark it,make a big show of praising the children who have completed it correctly, have very specifi, clear sucess criterai which are almost a step by step 'to do' list display it where the children can see it, refer to it during the introduction, have a mini plenary 5 mins in to the lesson where you refocus the children and go through the checklist sucess criteria 'rmeber to ...' 'put your hand up you have already....'

HTH