1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Class text to inspire writing - World War Theme

Discussion in 'English' started by Flower83, Jul 24, 2019.

1. Flower83

Flower83 New commenter

Hi,
    I’m looking for a class text for my year 5/6 class linked to our war theme. It is important that the text develops their vocabulary and comprehension but also inspires some brilliant writing! I know there are so many books out there including Carries’s War, War Horse, Private Peaceful, Goodnight Mr Tom etc. I have also come across some books I hadn’t heard of in my search including White Feather and Skylarks’ War. So, in short I’m just hoping somebody can give me a recommendation of a book that worked really well for them!

2. roamingteacher

roamingteacher Established commenter Forum guide

Why not use one of those you've mentioned?

ViolaClef likes this.
  3. Flower83

Flower83 New commenter

Absolutely happy to do that but just wondered if anybody had used one of the titles I had mentioned with success (or even if one of the books I’ve mentioned really didn’t work for their class!)

Thanks!

4. roamingteacher

roamingteacher Established commenter Forum guide

The only recommendation I can make is that you present the choices to the class and let them decide (assuming you have access to the titles in your stock). They could explore reviews on Goodreads to make a choice along with reading the blurbs and first pages. Perhaps they could do book clubs if they don't all pick the same one. Could make it more interesting for you and more engaging for them.

bonxie likes this.
  5. bonxie

bonxie Senior commenter

6. blueskydreaming

blueskydreaming Lead commenter

7. ViolaClef

ViolaClef Lead commenter

Why don’t you re-read all the books you’ve mentioned, plus The Silver Sword and see which you think will inspire the children you will be teaching and which one they will engage with?

8. katykook

katykook Occasional commenter

I am David by Anne Holm
    When Hitler Stole Pink Rabbit - Judith Kerr