1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

class taken off me because I followed behaviour policy

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by tonymars, Feb 12, 2017.

1. tonymars

tonymars Established commenter

I've recently had a class taken off me because I persisted in following the school's behavioural policy, including reinforcing boundaries and using sanctions. Feel angry, undermined and disillusioned. And I don't think this is in the best interests of the kids. Possibly a "support" plan coming my way. Is this common? Any thoughts or advice please.

2. peggylu

peggylu Star commenter

Yes this is very common.

3. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Did it include calling for members of SMT/sending them emails or requiring any support?

If so - it's common to be "punished".

But not for using the policy! No! For being a bad teacher because it's all your fault they were naughty in the first place. Surely you can see that? Their bad behaviour stems from your incompetence! Therefore you must be punished.

I think that's the mindset of the powers that be.

Sorry. I have my sarcasm hat on today. Bloody schools.

4. Yoda-

Yoda- Lead commenter

Some behaviour policies are initially set up in good faith to set a framework for staff to use, to ensure consistency..... Unfortunately any monitoring of sanctions used within the policy can be reversed from a focus on students to individual staff.

In one of my past schools, I was warned that this was the norm when I joined. Most staff did their own set of sanctions and did not have to record them, so staying under the radar. Some were not aware of this staff monitoring and ended up being labelled as struggling teachers.

I am sure the situation you describe is found in many schools. Have data, let's use it to monitor the staff. SLT will think less sanctions equates to better school behaviour. They think they are being effective, unfortunately behaviour can get worse as the behaviour policy is fatality wounded by this approach.

5. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

O dear.
    That's just wrong what you describe, OP.
    By using the behaviour policy you demonstrate you are far more on top of behaviour than those less astute.
    If everybody used the policy in the same way, behaviour would improve.
    If management supported in behaviour, behaviour would improve.
    But if they are now "sanctioning" you, covertly, for using behaviour policy, you can be sure that behaviour will be worse.
    Formulate an exit plan if this potential bothers you, and find somewhere with the right approach to behaviour.
    The "right approach" to behaviour ought to be Zero Tolerance all the way up the school.
    Learning matters, and if they don't behave, it ain't gonna happen, and guess who will have to take the blame?

So wrong how they have failed to support you, I really feel for you.

6. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Star commenter

Oh dear.
    As someone who's just venturing out after a long time in one school this is worrying? I've always believed in following the school behaviour policy because this consistency across all staff helps the kids' behaviour improve. Nearly all my behaviour problems stem from when I go 'off piste' with BfL.

So what do the evil SLT do when they observe a lesson/teacher which pays no attention to the school behaviour policy?

gingerhobo48, stonerose and pepper5 like this.
  7. ViolaClef

ViolaClef Lead commenter

Yes, as @Yoda- says, if you are one of the few or maybe the only one sticking to the behaviour policy, your head is well and truly above the parapet, and this is what it can lead to. It's completely wrong, but I've seen it happen, too.

8. peggylu

peggylu Star commenter

This is a common problem. It's the ridiculous, short sighted over monitoring of staff causing the problem. I've actually seen graphs comparing staff members use of various stages of the behaviour policy.

9. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Hey, if this is a class that mean you have to use sanctions often and repeatedly, then be pleased to be shot of them!

les25paul, lulu57, stonerose and 3 others like this.
  10. Dolapo80

Dolapo80 New commenter

I will like to say this is uncommon but I will be lying. The teacher comes under scruitiny because of the behaviour of students. I believe that it take a village to raise a child but this a culture of different expectations. The rules, rewards and consequences are set but everyone has their own interpretations. I am sorry this happened to you.

stonerose and pepper5 like this.
  11. Landofla

Landofla Established commenter

Make sure you start keeping notes of everything and informing your union.

12. nervousned

nervousned Senior commenter

I never worked in an institution that followed its own behaviour policy. Always wondered what it would be like to work in one that did.

13. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

And remember how we had few behaviour issues before they invented behaviour policies? When we just used common sense-and heads supported their staff.
    Heard of OP's kind of issue far too often.

ViolaClef, Laphroig, peggylu and 4 others like this.
  14. catbanj

catbanj Occasional commenter

I once had inset where we were told that any bad behaviour could be avoided if we taught inspirational lessons.

They couldn't tell me what such a thing looked like of course :D

15. Jolly_Roger1

Jolly_Roger1 Star commenter

This as daft as saying that if we had ;inspirational policing' there would be no crime, or with 'inspiration healthcare' there would be no illness.

16. grumpydogwoman

17. stonerose

stonerose Occasional commenter

The mangled message here is in the dreaded subtext:

Don't do as the policy tells to you to do. Do what will cause 'us' - by which I meant SMT or whatever grand title that is the flavour of the month at present - less fuss and still makes us look good (or, as I nearly typed 'god' :confused:. True!!!!!!!!!!!!).

However 'get on board with the programme' in enough time to fool ofsted (not always that difficult) to show that school policy is being applied 'strategically' to tick boxes when it comes to them assessing Behaviour.

Oh and Tone mate while your at it.... why don't you do all the above while whistling 'We will rock you' just to show how down you are with the kids while also unicycling - with a smile on your face, 'cos that's truly motivational - and any other skill that you can flash as well. Not forgetting of course that you are there to teach.

Finally, keep repeating this to yourself, 'It's not me who's mad it's them.... it's not me who's mad it's them.'

18. grumpydogwoman

Mrsmumbles likes this.
  19. Mrsmumbles

Mrsmumbles Star commenter

Schools are in a right mess. OP: exactly the same happened to me. Taught for decades with no serious behaviour issues. Then the moronic SLT introduced bring your own irritating and not very smart phone to class BEFORE fully outlining any changes to behaviour policy. So the kids could not handle the responsibility and a lot of us lost our tempers, followed the policies, then got complained about. Welcome to the era of the stupid student consumer and unctuous hypocritical senior stupids teams....

stonerose, tonymars, pepper5 and 2 others like this.
  20. NewToTeachingOldToMaths

NewToTeachingOldToMaths Lead commenter

Or, worse still, with "inspirational lawyering" there would be no lawsuits ...