1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Class TA but now 1-1

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by Cas7777, Nov 2, 2019.

1. Cas7777

Cas7777 New commenter

I’ve been a TA for 15 years , I also cover classes (HLTA ) recently a child in my class has been diagnosed as having ADHD and I’ve now been told I’m his 1-1 ? The rest of the class are suffering because of this as I’m continually having to take him out of the class, has anyone else had this experience? I’m finding this change of role difficult to deal with as it’s not what I’ve always been the class TA !

2. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Lead commenter

I really feel for you! I was a TA for many years and have now been a HLTA for more than 10 years. I plan and teach targeted interventions and cover PPA and management time. I have nothing but admiration for the TAs who work 1-1 with children who have learning challenges, whether academic or behavioural. I don't think I could do it … but I know, with school budgets being squeezed the way they are, many of us are having to take on roles that we previously would not have considered. The only thing I can say is that, as a HLTA, you will be paid more than a TA and I would think your SLT will not want that to happen for too long. They must have had to find someone else to cover the classes you were previously covering??? Hopefully a new 1-1 can be found for the child soon and you can return to your original role.

3. hubcap

hubcap New commenter

Yes, I agree, the way things are going we are being moved around left, right and centre to save money!
    Hopefully whichever government gets in will do a review of support staff and make sure they are looked after properly.
    I feel more like a teacher than a ta at the moment!

sunshineneeded likes this.
  4. Cas7777

Cas7777 New commenter

5. Cas7777

Cas7777 New commenter

Unfortunately I only get paid HLTA rate when I cover, the class I’ve been told there is no money for a 1-1 but I’m fairly sure the school has had some funding for the child , I’m beginning think I might like a complete change of job but not sure what else I could do as I’ve been doing this job fir so long ! Any suggestions welcome !

sunshineneeded likes this.
  6. hubcap

hubcap New commenter

If the child has an ipra there will be money for them.
    Just keep your eyes out for any schools nearby. There are some schools that treat their staff right.

7. Supplylady

Supplylady New commenter

I think there are many people, who due to school budget cuts being slashed, are constantly having their roles changed without a pay increase. It is a difficult time at the moment. As for another job role.. I am not sure.

8. sooooexcited

sooooexcited Occasional commenter

Any other job you go for will have the possibility of ending up exactly where you are.
    Any funding received for SEND pupils pays for the staff you already have so it's nearly impossible to hire a new staff member with that money.

Your contract won't state that you have to be used as a general TA so there's not much to be done here.