1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Class Swap Ideas - BRAND NEW FOR 2010!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by cbdixon, Jun 14, 2010.

1. I saw someone had posted this back on the forum but thought it might be a bit long to sift through. So maybe it's time to start a brand new one for 2010!!!
    Share your ideas, thoughts, things you've tried that have worked well on class swap day, afternoon or hour!!
    The link below is the original for those that want to see the ideas from the beginning (I have to admit I sifted through most of it!!!)
    http://community.tes.co.uk/forums/t/1285.aspx?PageIndex=26

2. I saw someone had posted this back on the forum but thought it might be a bit long to sift through. So maybe it's time to start a brand new one for 2010!!!
    Share your ideas, thoughts, things you've tried that have worked well on class swap day, afternoon or hour!!
    The link below is the original for those that want to see the ideas from the beginning (I have to admit I sifted through most of it!!!)
    https://community.tes.co.uk/forums/t/1285.aspx?PageIndex=26

3. I'm going to do some of the stuff I did last year. Introduce myself using my 'box of precious things', making birthday cards which we will give to each other during the year, postcard for Summer holiday homework - write to me telling me what you did/where you went.

4. I'm going to talk about some of the things that we'll be learning in September and get them to do some of the planning! No excuses for not taking part if they own the lessons, plus I have lots of time to pick out the bits that I'll use and give the right people the credit for them. Should be an exciting start!

5. A hopes and wishes box.
    Shoebox covered in gorgeous paper, little slips to be completed by the children (and me) My hopes for year ... Filled in on the visit day and popped in the box (along with a pinch of glitter and a wish!)
    Box is then opened and shared on the last circle time of the year for a reflection.

They get a slip of paper to tell them what equipment they should have for Sept and a general info letter about what is is like in the year group (frequency of homework etc)

6. I love the shoebox idea, that sounds ideal for my Y2 class.

I too am hoping to make Birthday cards and I also want us to look at Flanimals by Ricky Gervais and get the children to create their own using a variety of mediums. They can then write about it underneath or just write words to describe it. I've got a full day with mine tso desperately trying to think of things to do, although I am forgetting that I won't have Y5 anymore and that Y2 will take a bit longer!!!

7. princess77

princess77 New commenter

I'm going to make a fabric wall hanging. Every child decorates a square of fabric with their name and images they like. Then they can be tied together to make a really nice display for the new year. Already have the things I need - looking forward to a new school year!

8. wicked witch

wicked witch New commenter

Really like the idea of a wall hanging. What sort of things are you going to use to make it?

9. I love this idea and will definitely use it this year.

Last year i made a jigsaw out of our class name and each child plus me and the TA decorated a piece. We then laminated it and it still looks wonderful.

10. Milgod

Milgod Established commenter

We have a morning with our new class in July (by which time I hope the head will have told us what year we will be in!).

I take a picture of each child and my TA prints them out in B&W. We then slice them down the middle and stick them to art paper. The children use charcoal pencils to finish their face. It makes a nice display for September.
    I also have them write me a letter about themselves. What they like, their friends and what they are looking forward to in Y6. I give these letters back to them at the end of the year.

Besides that we just play a couple of games and chat.

11. I like the ideas of a wall hanging. What material do the children draw/write on and how to you tie it together? Is it sewn?

12. Those fabric squares look ace! Think I might have to buy some of those for our meet the teacher day!!!

13. I too am doing the wall hanging thing - we will be putting our names on + a handprint / decoration.
    We have 2 afternoons, so the second afternoon we will make wooglies (an idea an ex colleague passed onto me) - basically you get a stone / pebble, feathers, wooglie eyes and marker pens - and basically make a person out of the stone and bits. They then have to name their wooglie, create a passport for it with basic info which they will then use as a diary over the holidays. When we come back I will set up a wooglie hospital to do essential repairs!! and we will link it into a starting literacy unit of instructional texts and write a guide on how to look after the wooglie... (can you tell I teach yr 6 ;-))
    Depending on time, we may even make a wooglie house one afternoon for them to live in over the hols... but that may be a bit ambitious!!!!

14. L2T

L2T

I can't wait to become a teacher :) In what other career can you make a Wooglie? love it!

15. Hi guys,
    I am new to teaching and was thinking of getting the class to make their own personal passports with all the things they like and dislike etc and then making a display with these. This will be my first year teaching with my own class (I'm not nervous honest[​IMG]) and want to create a stimulating learning environment and become an amazing teacher.

Please let me know if you think this is a lame idea and also other things which will be good to prepare now so I have a head start for septmeber.

Best wishes,
    Jack.

16. Have you taken a look at the old thread at the top of this one? Also which year group will you be teaching??

17. Having been in year 4 for the last 3 years, I have just been told I'm in year 6 next year. I'm really stuck on what to do with them for the "meet your teacher" hour, particularly as I had them last year so I'm not going to need to do all the usual 'getting to know you' business. They are a difficult year group and have been since reception so it's going to need to be something to hold their attention.