1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Class story - Ancient Greece

Discussion in 'Primary' started by elizabeth1972, Mar 28, 2012.

1. Has anybody read any good KS2 class stories linked with Ancient Greece?
    I've used the "my story" series for other periods in history, but can't see one on Amazon for the Greeks.

2. The Orchard Book Of Greek Myths is fantastic - they love them and half know them already but don't always associate them with Ancient Greece.

3. We've got that one for literacy lessons. I was thinking more along the lines of a gripping story to read at the end of the day, although I hadn't thought.... maybe I could read a myth each day!

4. 'Helping Hercules' by Fancesca Simon (Horrid Henry author) went down really well with my class of Yr 5 children.

5. cariad2

cariad2 New commenter

I think that some of the books in Caroline Lawrence's Roman Mysteries series are set in ancient Greece.

6. This one looks great, thank you!

7. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Helen of Troy and the wooden horse and the battle and all that kept my year 5s occupied in literacy and end of day repeated story reading for weeks a couple of years back.

Even when they went into year 6, as did I but with a different class, they would ask for that story to be read if I ever had them at the end of the day.

8. clear_air

clear_air New commenter

Tony Robinson wrote 'Odysseus, Superhero' - whoch I remember him reading aloud on the telly, and loved!!
    As mine are a bit older, when we've finished War Horse, I'm going to give Percy Jackson and the lightening thief a go - a Y6 boy last year told me it was the vest thing he'd read ever ever ever ever ever, so I read it over the sumemr holidays, and loved it too!! Mind you, will read again to see how it scans as a read aloud book.
    Is the entire country doing the Ancient Greeks next term??!

9. That's a really good, Sunday-afternoon-family film. Didn't realise it was a book!
    Most probably! I have got my topic box request in with the county school library service, but I'm expecting it to be a bit thin on the ground!

10. Msz

Msz Established commenter

I used Percy Jackson and the Lightening Thief with Y2 last year they loved the book and many went out and bought the other books from the series.

11. clear_air

clear_air New commenter

I really enjoyed it - and thought it was better written and more 'learned' in an academic sense than Harry Potter. How did you use it with Y2s? My daughter is in Y2 next year - I can't see her being ready for such a weighty book any time soon!not seen the film btw - my personal children (!) are the sort that get bad dreams about monsters...(they were a bit nxious about the cover of the book!!)

12. Msz

I didn't show my class the film (although some watched it at home) we read the book as a class reader. It inspired lots of different types of writing and an animation, video reports, myths and legends, Greek gods etc. The website has some useful bits [[http://www.rickriordan.com/my-books/percy-jackson.aspx]] We made dioramas like these http://www.rickriordan.com/my-books/percy-jackson/resources/school-project-ideas/dioramas.aspx As I said lots of them bought other books from the series as a result

13. Try "Greek Myths" by Marcia Williams. I have used it this term along with its Scholastic Read and Respond book which has fantastic literacy activities. The children like the comic strip stories and enjoy the fact that they know some of the characters from the "Percy Jackson" film.

14. Msz

15. clear_air

clear_air New commenter

Coo! I've just been thinking along the very same lines! Magical creatures will (I hope) abound next term...