1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Class splits-Advice Needed

Discussion in 'Primary' started by timandliz, Jul 4, 2019.

1. timandliz

timandliz New commenter

Can someone please tell me the guidelines/policy for selection process for Y1/Y2 split and is there a standard criteria set from the government is what the headteacher decides law.

Many many thanks

2. ks9aq

ks9aq New commenter

If I understand what you are asking correctly, I.e. if a school needs to have a split Y1/2 class due to number of pupils. In my experience different schools do the split in different ways. Some do it purely on age so oldest Y1s with youngest Y2s. Some do it due to academic ability or other needs e.g. if there is to be a mixed R/Y1 class within the school those who would benefit from more continuous provision may be best placed with some Reception peers. Bearing in mind the jump between R and Y1 can be big. Sometimes schools look at the characters and class dynamics and maybe separate some children who find it hard to be in the same class.
    I am not aware of any government guidance. Are you a parent or teacher?

3. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

OP is a parent according to their Profile (or two parents judging by their username :) )

It's entirely a matter for the headteacher to decide. There are no laws about it and no official guidance.

@timandliz I will guess something is happening in your child's school about class splitting that you don't agree with. What has happened?

4. timandliz

timandliz New commenter

Yes sorry, my dc is due to go into Year 2 this September. He has been in a split class Y1/Y2 this current year where he is one of the older Year 1’s which has been fine and then there is the full current Y1 class.
    We got a letter to say what they are doing is not putting ds into the new full Y2 and they have done this on age/gender and friendships.
    My son is one of the older ones of his year so it obviously does not go on the criteria of age and he has not got even one of his close friends with him, so nor does this go on the friendship criteria.
    I have been told that he is where he should be and that they are quite happy with him!
    I have since found out that the Full class Y2 which I thought he would be in only have 26.
    There is no justifiable reason for this whatsoever and was wondering if anyone else has been in this position as I find it really really odd

5. BTBAM85

BTBAM85 New commenter

6. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Lead commenter

Ask for a meeting with the school to discuss it. They are the only ones who are going to be able to explain their decision. It is possible an error could have been made regarding friendship groups.

7. abacus1982

abacus1982 Occasional commenter

It is up to the school how they do it. I know some that do oldest 15 of lower year group mix with younger 15 of next and rest are in the straight class. ie oldest 15 Year 1 with youngest 15 Year 2 and rest are in the straight Year 1 or straight Year 2 class.

I've known it done by results and attainment, known it done by friendship groups and known it done by a simple going down the register and one here, one there. Whatever way I have known it done there have always been parental issues with it. There is a perception that a Year 5 child in a Year 5/6 class will be taught more challenging stuff than a child in say a Year 4/5 class.

Ultimately the school will do the best they can and will never please all parents. Personally I didn't like working in a mixed year group school as much as straight year groups so wouldn't choose to send my children to one or work in one again.

8. carriecat10

carriecat10 Established commenter Community helper

I agree with @Stiltskin - ask for a meeting with the head to discuss this. You can then ask questions and share any concerns you may have.

9. frustum

frustum Star commenter

I can also imagine an argument that if the mixed 1/2 class have been doing the same topics in foundation subjects as year 2 this year, it might be better for the same kids to be in the mixed 1/2 class next year and do the year 1 topics. But you think they'd say so, and it would also be clear that all the kids from that class stay put.

Ask the questions (and check they know who your child's friends are), but bear in mind that there may be some things they may not be able to explain fully due to confidentiality, as it may be that some children's placement has been driven by special needs/bullying/etc, and that's meant others have been placed to balance up things like gender or ability.

In the end of the day, do recognise that the school will do their best by all the children, and the staff should be differentiating the work and challenging all the pupils whichever class they are in.

10. timandliz

timandliz New commenter

Thank you so much everyone for your responses, very much appreciated

11. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

It could well be that 'friendships' means they are splitting up certain key groups...and that 'age' really means development.
    Excellent news.

So spend the summer talking with your son about how much fun he will have in his new class and how much he'll enjoy being with year 1s and how great his teacher will be, etc, etc.

abacus1982 likes this.